Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I noticed that Skylah was breathing fast/heavy breathing and I caught her today and can feel her keel bone so feels to be on the skinny side. I can't hear her making any sounds and her beak is closed when breathing, her poop has been small from what I have seen from a distance.
She's still preening like normal and perching.

It's a long weekend this week so the vet isn't going to be open for their usual hours and I'm not sure about stressing her out for the 2 hour each way trip to the avian vet. Then I remembered that I still have Autumns medication that I wasn't able to use, it was dispensed 2 months ago now but I have been keeping it in the fridge just in case I ever needed it.
Meloxicam - anti inflammatory
Enrofloxacin - broad spectrum antibiotic, from what I've read baytril is the brand name for it.

If I took her to the vet I wouldn't be able to afford any tests, only the consult and any medication she needed so I'm guessing this is pretty much what they would give her anyway to try. I was wondering if the medication would still be good and if I should give Skylah that and see if it helps until after the weekend and I get paid again.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I am not sure if I would give her the antibiotic without knowing what is wrong. Can you call the avian vet and see if he thinks it would be OK? Maybe she is getting less food or getting pushed away from the food? Is she having any other symptoms that would indicate an infection? Just thoughts...I would at least call the vet and let him know what you have noticed, and see if he could at least give you some instruction to get you through the weekend...

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry I didn't reply earlier guys.

Skylah went to the vets, but while she wasn't doing open beaked breathing at home I think the long trip and strangers was to much stress for her. When the vet was looking at her she started gasping and was having some really bad difficulties with breathing. The vet got really worried and put her back in the carrier but then Skylah did what Autumn used to do when I thought she had seizures so she took her to the next room and when she brought her back my baby was gone :cry:
So I don't think it was a seizure, I think she actually died when they put her back in the carrier. The vet gave her a shot of adrenalin and tried CPR on Skylah but it didn't work :(

So we are now back to thinking that the dreaded Psittacosis is back in the flock :( she's going to be looking for what medication would be best to treat them all with.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Aww, that's so hard :cry: I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope the rest of the flock will be okay and that your vet can help you through this. Sending good thoughts your way.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I am so sorry! It is so hard to lose one :( Fly free sweet Skylah ! I am sure my JoJo will meet you at the Bridge...

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks CharVicki and JoJo's Mom, at least Skylah is with Autumn now since they were best buds. It's nice to think that your JoJo would be at the bridge to meet her.

I really think it is Psittacosis now because I just noticed one of Kale and Bella's babies fluffed up and sleeping on the shelf and she looks to be breathing a little harder than normal. I did ask the vet if I noticed any of the others getting sick if I should start treating them with the medication I have left over from Car Alarm and she said yes, so that's what I'm going to do.

I was wondering, I think I read some where that stress can trigger it for them. I went a whole year with no losses so thought that we had managed to get rid of it in the flock, do you think the stress from the bushfire and when we evacuated them could have triggered it since it all started a couple of months after that?

·
Registered
786 Posts
I don't think that bit of stress would set it off...you did everything you could and sadly there was nothing else that could be done. Take it easy on yourself- you are a great birdie mom, and you always did for them with love.
I am so sorry for your loss...its always so hard. :(

·
Registered
878 Posts
Oh, I'm so sorry. I hope everyone else is well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts