Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to buy a heating pad for the brooder.
There are hundreds of types and basically there are the following types:

Pads for pets and Pads for humans

Also there are types that switch off after about 90 minutes and others (I haven't seen them yet but I know they exist) that never switch off.

Which type I should buy?

I need to buy one tomorrow so any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ouch it can't be used on plastic. i was planning to use a sturdy plastic tub, one of those used for storage

·
Registered
493 Posts
I use a Heat Wave Rainforest mat for my Indian Star tortoises humid hide, she needs an overnight temp of not less than 70 degrees so I use this mat on a timer overnight in her hide so she doesn't chill. They don't have heat settings, the heat output depends on the size of mat you use but you can add a thermostat, they don't switch off, which is why Maia's is on a timer :)
Her humid hide is a plastic storage tub, like your thinking of using :) I have placed her tub inside a wooden hide & attached the heatmat onto the wooden side, standing the plastic tub near it, the heat travels through nicely & this method has worked well for me :) The Heat Wave Rainforest mats don't get hot to touch, only warm, they are designed so snakes can't get burnt whilst using them, tortoises however can't have heat from below, it has to be side mounted, I have no idea about birds. I'm not sure if this us any help, just throwing it out there :)

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
You might consider a cheap small aquarium instead. I don't know about heat settings as I have only seen others use this method I prefer a brooding light. But I know it is plugged into a reptile thermostat to regulate temperature. You can pick up a cheap thermostat on ebay for 15 american dollars. Its very simple and you just plug the heat mat into it, set the sensor in your brooder, and set your tempature in the thermostat. No wiring required if you pick up the right type.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts