Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am new here. I need advise on the best wattage for an infrared heat lamp to keep an older Cockatiel with ongoing respiratory issues warm at night. It gets cold here at night and the vet has suggested a heat lamp. The one I have now is 100 watts. I have noticed the the lamps for outdoor chickens and birds are 250 watts. I think that might be too warm for inside. Also the lamp I am using will not take anything higher than 100 watts. I am trying to find something to purchase but all those stand alone lamps use 250 and 275 watts.
Thank you for any advise in advance.
Susan

·
Registered
959 Posts
Please take a look at the archives for this site. A lot has been said about heatlamps so you should come across some interesting discussions. You have to be very careful using a heat source around birds since it is very easy to overheat a bird or start a fire. There have been many tragedies as a result and I know of one cockatiel owner nearby who lost all her birds and use of her house for a long time due to such an accidental fire - she was home at the time but couldn't save her pets.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your response. I will try and figure out the archives. Yes, I'm in California so always extremely worried about fires. That is why I do not use a space heater in their room at night
un- monitored.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts