Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm new here and new to cockatiels as well. I've had a budgie when I was a kid, but no other birds. I've recently graduated from vet school, but I gotta say we didn't really study parrots. I got a young cockatiel(around a couple months old) this week, 5 days ago to be precise, and he seems almost lethargic. There was a delay with his cage and the breeder brought him earlier than I expected in a very small cage. So I let him loose in the room until I got the new bigger cage, which was 2.5 days later. He's not tamed so I had to chase him around the room to catch him which for sure caused him more stress. He's been in the cage since then and I feel like he's not being very active at all. He is eating very often, I saw him drinking water once and he almost avoids the perch. He'd rather either hang on the cage or sit on his food container. He naps very often too, usually in one corner of the cage(the too part, I think he never went on the bottom) that's why I'm afraid something might not be ok...He is not curious about he's new cage... but he's alert, if we walk around or move he'd stare at us. He doesn't freak out when we walk towards the cage and he evenate millet from our fingers a couple times...i saw him stretching, pooping(looks ok), I hear him grinding him beak, he's not chirping or moving around... Is all this normal? Breeder said I should give him time and let him adjust. Thank you and sorry for this long story馃槄

Registered
Hello there and welcome to the forum!

Sounds like normal behaviour for a new cockatiel settling into a new home environment. It will take him a month or so to become accustomed to his new home and feel comfortable and more relaxed. If you are really concerned he may be ill you could get him checked out by an avian vet.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! I'm glad I found this forum, I'll keep reading the posts to learn more about these wonderful birds. I'll give him more time and see how he is doing. He's still scared, I could tell, but he's eating and he seems fine.

Registered
That's great. It's awesome that you've already had success with some food bribery, this is a great method to get him to associate you with a positive experience. You may find some helpful tips in this thread as well.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hi again! He had this little scratch from when he was loose in the room, I think he bumped into something. But looking at his nostrils, they seem a bit weird. Again, I'm not sure how they should look, but they seem a little stuffy. I attached a picture. I don't know why I worry so much, I just want him to be ok...we interacted today, I fed him several times from my finger, he even let me touch his beak a little bit. Now he's on the top perch, napping in a weird position, with his head almost falling (just like when people fall asleep and their heads are just bouncing).is it normal? He's still alert, opens his eyes every now and then to check if I'm still here.

Attachments

Registered
That's not a normal sleeping position. A cockatiel should sleep on one leg, fluffed up, with head tucked over the back and slightly under the wing. A bird sleeping in an abormal position is a red flag, you should definitely take your 'tiel to an avian vet for a health check up.

Your 'tiels left nostril looks a little blocked to me, but I can't be sure from looking at just 1 picture.

I would recommend getting some natural wooden perches to replace the dowels as natural perches are much more comfortable for their feet. You can also get edible calcium perches, my flock love those. With only dowels to perch on, since there is no variance in the shape or width of the perch, this can cause foot problems long term.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you! He only slept like that for 5 minutes and he hardly ever does it. I think I overreact about his behaviour. About the perches, I got natural wooden ones and placed them in the cage. 3 are horizontal and one is a little bit inclined. Is that OK? I'm not sure I'll leave them in this position, but I also don't want to stress him too much at the moment. He seems to like them a lot especially the one that's inclined. He seems very comfortable. Should I make it horizontal or just leave it like this?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts