Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Squeekers is doing very well. He's now able to hull his seeds and eat his pellet foods. and he is gaining weight. He spends most of the day out of his cage with us. we put him in there basically to take a break from the busy house. let him nap. and preen in peace. well we were preparing supper for tonight. which involved cutting up potatoes. well mr squeekers decided he was gonna try and help himself to some. we didnt let him. and he threw the most adorable birdie tantrum!!!! it was so cute!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIPXfszepjc

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
How adorable! My tiel spent most of his time out of the cage, mostly hanging out on the back of the couch to be with us. We were never sure if he knew he was a bird, because he seemed to think he was one of us.

·
Registered
I have normal greys, whiteface, pearl pieds, creamface cinnamons, and pearls.
795 Posts
Ahhhh yes that sound. I remember it so well. Two of our four tiels made that exact same sound....A LOT when they were very young. It almost drove us nuts until we figured out most if not all babies do that. Our other two birds were already past that stage by the time we got them.

·
Registered
109 Posts
It is exactly the sound all of my handfed cockatiels have made when wanting to be fed.
I guess it is a signal for the parent to feed them.

He wants to be a human, you said. Believe me, you have not seen anything just yet. There will be so many daily activities that your bird will want to be part of.

I can't wash my hands and dry without a cockatiel shooting down my arm and wanting to investigate the water and soap and later the towel.

They seem to have a thing for towels as the presence of a towel makes the cockatiels, at least the ones I have owned, want to whistle and sing.

Perched on a towel, Matey will whistle/sing those tunes I am hard pushed at other times to get them to sing. Matey loves to shower with me and will sit on my shoulder but does not try to get wet.
He flits back and forth from my shoulder to the shower head.

I have to isolate him when brushing my teeth otherwise he is on my toothbrush checking out the toothpaste. The word sticky beak had to be coined with a cockatiel in mind.

Oz

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LOL i love these comments!!! i hope he loves us that much! he spends all day out of the cage with mama and grandma. he tries to explore as well. we clipped his wings so he cannot hurt himself. but he is extremely bonded with my fiance. he loves playing with her earrings, lip ring and nose ring. anything shiny put in front of him and he goes nuts! as for showers being mentioned; when is an appropriate age to see if theyll take a "birdie bath"?

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Regarding showers/baths: you can place a shallow dish of water near him and see if he's curious about it. With him being so young and playful he should jump right in lol. For showers I usually fill a spray bottle with warm water and set it on 'mist' mode.

You mentioned your 'tiel loves to play with metal jewellery... please refrain from letting him do this as metal toxicity is very serious if your bird ends up with it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.