Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lorenzo has decided he wants to sleep in his water dish. I have the Prevue F4060. Not sure if those are the right numbers for it...

Anyway, every night he insists on sleeping in his water dish. Then in the morning the dish is disgusting and I have to scrub it. I thought at first it was just the placement of it but I have now moved it quite a few times and changed to a different dish and he still insists on sleeping in it! I have tried putting a bath at the bottom of the cage to see if he wanted to clean himself but he has no interest in it. He just plops himself right on the edge of the dish with his butt in it and if I get too close he hisses and tries to bite me.

Any suggestions on how to get him to sleep somewhere else. :pearl:

·
Registered
786 Posts
Wow, seems like he would get cold doing that. Maybe switch his water dish to a smaller dish that won't accommodate him? Just a thought...

·
Registered
162 Posts
It makes you wonder what goes on in those little heads. I have absolutely no idea why he wants to sleep there, or how to make him stop without removing it or change the size of it.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Use one of these to give him water:

Yes, cockatiels are very stubborn. It is impossible to "win an argument" with them! :huh: They always want to have "the last word".
Here I am, with a cockatiel shredding my vest in my lap instead of having a rest in bed because I am sick... He always wins.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Both my tiels did this when we first brought them home. Right before bet we have to take out both the food dish and water dish or they would roost in them. It's part of our nightly routine along with taking toys out and covering them.

·
Registered
648 Posts
If you put a perch near the bowl but higher up than the bowl then he will naturally want to move up the to perch that's above his current sleeping level. Hopefully.
Cockatiels generally like to sleep up as high as they can so make sure all bowls are a least lower than one of his perches.
Also does he get partially covered up at night? Whenever I come home late and my birds have decided it's bedtime before I've covered them up they sleep in weird places, like food bowls. I think it's a kind of anxiety thing, like they don't feel completely safe to go to sleep so they'll go hang out with their food or water. Once I cover them, put their lamp on and get everything set for sleep time they go to their usual sleeping spots on their top perches.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone. I think I solved the problem. I had tried finding a different water dish but most of them don't work right with my cage. While I love me Prevue F040 it doesn't seem to work with many of the different food and water dishes. I always had the dish lower than the perches but now I moved it to the very back of the cage. It's must harder for me to get it in and out but it seems to have solved this issue for now. At first he just switched and decided to sleep in his food dish instead but now I switched that out with a "no mess" dish that hangs outside the cage. He's decided to happily sleep on his wood/rope bridge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts