Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sweety bit me for the first time today. Sometimes when he's irritated he'll "open mouth bite", which doesn't hurt it's more like "back off"; but today he bit me so hard it made me bleed! He even had my blood on his beak! I've had him for 6 years and this has never happened before. What do I do, should I punish him? Is it too late to punish him? My feelings are really hurt, it's like betrayal.

If anyone's curious he was nibbling on my phone case and I put my finger in the way to make him stop, he "open mouth" bit at my nail and when I pulled my finger away he lashed at me.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
You can't "punish" a bird...he won't understand, and it will just break trust and damage your relationship. As for why he did it, I can't say for sure. Could be hormones, or just an instinctive reaction. I know it hurts, but keep in mind birds are wild animals. Just because they are in captivity doesn't mean they are domesticated, like cats and dogs.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Yeah, birds just don't understand punishment. Please don't ever punish your bird for doing something 'wrong', as moonchild said, all it will do is break the trust he has with you and damage your relationship.

Don't be hurt about it or think of it as a betrayal. It's not a nice thing to happen, because, well, it hurts lol, but it's really nothing against you personally. I've hand raised Zoe since she was a week old, and she bites me sometimes. She usually just gives me a thorough beaking to let me know she's mad, but sometimes she'll actually bite me.

The best thing you can do is ignore it. It's hard but just don't react (as in, try not to shout or jerk your hand away), and he'll learn that biting is completely ineffective.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Coco gets really territorial over my phone. He'll stand on it, turn in circles and stare at himself in the screen. If I try to make him step up while he's on it or to take my phone away, he will lunge and bite. I think it's a very hormonal reaction. He can get quite obsessed over certain objects and his reaction when I try to interfere is nothing personal against me, just his instincts. I think perhaps it's the same with your bird. I hide my phone from him now, as well as anything shiny.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can't "punish" a bird...he won't understand, and it will just break trust and damage your relationship. As for why he did it, I can't say for sure. Could be hormones, or just an instinctive reaction. I know it hurts, but keep in mind birds are wild animals. Just because they are in captivity doesn't mean they are domesticated, like cats and dogs.
All did was put him in his cage and take out his mirror just in case it was hormonal. He still acted irritable but the next day he acted so gentle it was bizarre; it makes me wonder if he was trying to show me he was sorry

J

·
0 Posts
My tiel bites the crap out of me all the time... and when he bites... he bites REALLY HARD! Mostly my hands... he's kinder with my face.

The little devil has always been like this. Consider yourself lucky your tiel is an angel compared to mine... so go easy on him ;) I don't think they realize how hard they bite sometimes.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
It's not effective to actively punish a bird, as others have said. However, it can be effective to put a bird in a brief time-out like you did, provided you also reward them when they are not biting you. This teaches them that good things happen when they don't bite, and nothing good happens when they do bite, so they shouldn't do it again. That being said, birds are not domesticated and some instinctive reactions like hormonal aggression or aggression due to fear may not ever be eliminated. It's as much our job to consider what we may be doing to cause our birds to bite as it is to teach them not to do it. Sometimes biting is their only way to tell us that they want us to stop something.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I am thinking about how Silver never open beaked me for the first six months I had him. Now, if I am trying to interrupt him doing something I can't allow (like stealing the keys from my laptop) he will open beak me repeatedly. I have had him for nearly two years now. It wouldn't surprise me if he started biting over these interactions at some point. It seems like the natural progression.

So, I think I learned something from your post. I think I have to find better ways to interrupt him, that don't allow him to get into the habbit of openbeaking, then turning into bites.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts