Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

Hawks

840 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Brandon2k14 
#1 ·
I just saw a Hawk outside my garden and Rocko was sitting on the tree I just saw it on the ground it looked like it was mating another bird but it was the hawks wing and I think its hurt it flew into the large gate because theres new houses being built in the area I live so theres big gates blocking off paths and stuff I never thought I would ever have to worry about hawks in Dublin I also saw alot of Crows circling around where the Hawk was.And I dont know what type of hawk it was it has brown wings under the wings it looked like yellow spots like a cockatiel and a yellow beak.

#2 ·
The sky is clear now all the crows left maybe they killed the Hawk my mam said Hawks are a endangered species and you could get rewarded if I saved it.Theres no way I could have saved it if the crows were after it because theres no way to get through the gates where the injured Hawk went through.

#4 ·
Don't know that there is a connection between the crows and the hawk. We have hawks all over the place here. They are quite common and prey on wild birds that come to yards with feeders and water. I'm always worried the hawks will snatch one of my song birds.

#6 ·
You're right Brandon, crows 'mob' hawks and other birds of prey. It very rarely leads to the death of the bird of prey - most often they just chase it off.

What you saw could have been a sparrowhawk, a small brown speckled hawk that is often seen in gardens and suburban areas as well as woodland. It eats garden birds like pigeons, starlings and of course sparrows! Unfortunately though your Mom might be mistaken. There are no rewards for rescuing an endangered species in the UK or Ireland, and most wildlife charities will advise the public to leave nature alone 99% of the time.

When it flew to the ground, it might have swooped down on a bird or rodent you couldn't see. When they catch their prey on the ground like this, birds of prey often 'mantle' over it - that means they spread their wings over the catch to shield their dinner from other hungry birds of prey (or even the crows!) while they kill it with their talons.

Definitely a danger for little Rocko - take care in the garden you guys!

#7 ·
I didnt really notice it at first but when I looked over that way I just saw it fly to the ground very fast and it had its wing open I thought it was mating but there was no other bird and then when it flew through the gates it looked injured and the gate spacing is small that a small dog can fit through.It also looked like a big hawk also many people where I live own pigeons as pets and they are always flying around in big flocks I never see any get attacked back when I was younger I remember crows used to always kill magpies and the dead bird for some reason always landed in my garden like yesterday all the crows in the air circling around today there was alot of seaguls flying around do they attack other birds.

#8 ·
Yes I'm afraid seagulls, crows and magpies are all known to get into mobs and harass other birds. I can imagine a flock of crows might kill a magpie and perhaps if your hawk was injured they could wear it out, but usually they're not known for killing adult raptors (birds of prey). I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but it isn't usual.

If the bird flew through spacing that small I'd guess sparrowhawk. They are very nifty fliers and are built to fly very fast through wooded areas with lots of obstacles. But they're not very big...about wood pigeon size. Perhaps it is a young bird that's moved into your area.

Trying to find a video of sparrowhawks hunting that isn't horrifyingly graphic (especially to people on this forum!) is difficult, but this one is tame and gives some idea of how awkward they look when they're on the ground and grappling with prey. I could understand why someone would think the hawk was mating or injured. Maybe this was or wasn't what you saw, but check it out and see :)

http://youtu.be/vcGzRN1aMpI

#9 ·
Thats exactly what it looked like it was doing I definitely didnt see another bird though getting carrier away to the feeding station lol.I wanna learn more about the outside birds too rather than just learning about parrots that way I can be more aware of what each bird might do to my babies.And Loki is getting his harness tommorow so im gonna have to supervise two birds outside.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.