Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I had a question about eyesight. Is it possible that a cockatiel can be born with bad eyesight? My cockatiel back home, jumps and climbs very efficiently, but my new bird seems to fall as he tries to make his way to lower perches or just plain climbing he seems timid and slow, constantly hanging or missing the perch sometimes. When he climbs the side of the cage it seems very strenuous for him and almost a chore to get to higher perches. Although when it comes to flying he knows exactly where he is going as he always seems to fly to me mostly out of all three members of the household. Could it be that he is still fairly young, roughly 10-11 weeks old, and that is the reason he takes his time or stumbles or falls in the cage trying to reach perches?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Does he have a bald patch behind his crest? Lutinos were severely inbred and this has caused many issues in their bloodlines. Including but not limited to clumsiness, increased night frights and physical health problems.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Does he have a bald patch behind his crest? Lutinos were severely inbred and this has caused many issues in their bloodlines. Including but not limited to clumsiness, increased night frights and physical health problems.
I don't see a bald spot. He is full feathered. It looks like he doesn't have any blemishes or anything that stands out.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Fair enough. I think it is probably due to inbreeding. My lutino is quite clumsy, but he is a happy fellow so I don't let it worry me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Fair enough. I think it is probably due to inbreeding. My lutino is quite clumsy, but he is a happy fellow so I don't let it worry me.
Yes I was kind of worried about him but yes, mine is happy as well. He has a lot of toys to keep him entertained and I just got him some brewers yeast that I add to his food. I remember getting that for my first cockatiel. I only give him a pinch or two and mix it in his seed.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts