Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my birds another cage because their old cage was in a pretty bad shape. Because they are untamed, it took a lot of time to get them in the other cage. But now they are settled there is a huge problem. Honey my female cockatiel is kind of young, and she can't quite figure out how to go to the perch. And that is because there aren't so many horizontal bars. I can't have her hanging from the cage bars all night, so I have to do something. I couldn't think of anything, so I decided to make a thread over here and ask you guys for advice.

ANY advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Can you get some citrus tree branches? Put those in at a low angle so she can easily climb onto them. Or use any perches you have, just put them near the bottom of the cage so they're in reach.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sure. I'll try that. Right now she is trying to figure out how to go to her food bowl. My male somehow taught her how to get to the perch. However I will try not to open the cage for some days because this morning when I was opening up the door of the food and water bowl, she was freaking out. I haven't got a cage stand for the cage yet because moving the cage will again freak her out. I haven't put any toys in there. I will give her a few days to calm down before I do. Until then, they can play with their swing. The cage is kind of small, I mean not really big, so I guess I cn only put 3-4 perches in there.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh my God. Something really big happened. My maid got me two budgies!! She brought them in some kind of net bag from her home. Since we sold the old cage to her, we had to keep the budgies in the cockatiels cage. At first all the birds started to panic, but then they calmed down. I am going to buy the budgies another cage in a few days. The only problem is, I only have one food bowl and water bowl which belongs to honey and cookie. I will gladly get another bowl and give those to the budgies, but honey and cookie panic whenever I touch the cage or open the cage door. This will cause the budgies too panic too, and they may fly away. NOW what do I do? I need an answer and quickly

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And the budgies are so shy they won't even climb down to get food from the food bowl. They were sitting on top of the nest box I bought for honey and cookie in case they breed. I gave them some food over there. They ate it. I certainly couldn't give water to them on the next box as well so I didn't. Only one problem: Honey and cookie sleep on the nest box. So what will the budgies do then? Sleep on the perch?

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Give the budgies a few days to calm down. They'll be quite flighty until they get used to their new environment :) Just make sure the birds have more than one food and water bowl. Budgies are bullies and can keep a cockatiel from eating.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
You really need to get another cage (and separate food dishes) for the budgies. Budgies and cockatiels are known not to get along well in the same cage, if at all.

It's normal for them to be scared and not eat for the first couple of days at home. They should settle down soon. Good luck. :)

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am going to buy the budgies another cage. The cockatiels and budgies seem to get along well. The only problem is food. They don't like to share. So that is why the budgies have a separate bowl of food. When honey and cookie go to sleep the budgies sneak some food from their food bowl.;)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Maybe the nest box isn't such a good idea right now? Your female is still a baby and you don't want to encourage her to try to lay eggs before she's fully grown.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My mom bought it because she didn't want to go and buy it later, so she decided to buy it right now. I could have made one but she said that the nest box was nice and it will be better to buy one than make it, so she did.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Nimra, if you are also looking for budgie advice, check out TalkBudgies. :) My roommate Meredith has an account on it (budgiebeatles) and she says the users are always helpful. :D Here's the link: http://talkbudgies.com

1 - 15 of 15 Posts