Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello so as you know if you've read my other posts about coco and her cage we have a lot of problems with getting her in and staying in without going mad and trying to get to me. Now I know it's nothing to do with her being scared of anything because she has actually played with all her toys and she clambers all over them and chews etc (it was a miracle that day thought we'd finally learnt to enjoy the cage)

Anyway, I have been taking other's advice of giving her a treat when I put her in - I know it's just the beginning - but today it was really quite upsetting. I had to put her in so I could pop to town with my mum, that was a chore getting her in she kept flying off my finger as soon as she saw where I was headed. Anyway, I came back and it took a good hour for her to want me to stroke her and sit with me and fly to me etc etc before that when I first let her out she wanted nothing to do with me almost as if she didn't know me, she kept trying to get away from me and was hissing??? So I left her, and then like a said about an hour later she came over to me and was like normal and hasn't got off me since. I'm just a little worried that me training her to like her cage while I have to go somewhere is making her despise me a little when I come back and let her out??

·
Registered
350 Posts
I'm not sure the exact reason behind her behavior, but either way it sounds to me like she's not ready for the level of training you've got her at and you need to step it down a notch. Little baby steps.

Try this:
Once she notices that your heading towards the cage, stop and praise her heavily. Then walk away, go back to what you were doing before for a minute or two, and then do the same thing again. The second she looks over at the cage, praise her. Slowly SLOWLY start getting closer and closer to the cage until you're able to complete the steps I mentioned before. It sounds to me like she's really freaked out about it, and she needs to be taking it much slower.

Also, do not put her in her cage and lock her up only before bed or when you need to go out. Throughout the day, get her in her cage for just a few seconds and then immediately let her out, praising super heavily.

Fear of being left in the cage doesn't necessarily mean she's afraid of what's in it. It seems to me like she's afraid of being put away for a long time and not being able to see or be with you.

I hope this helps you :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure the exact reason behind her behavior, but either way it sounds to me like she's not ready for the level of training you've got her at and you need to step it down a notch. Little baby steps.

Try this:
Once she notices that your heading towards the cage, stop and praise her heavily. Then walk away, go back to what you were doing before for a minute or two, and then do the same thing again. The second she looks over at the cage, praise her. Slowly SLOWLY start getting closer and closer to the cage until you're able to complete the steps I mentioned before. It sounds to me like she's really freaked out about it, and she needs to be taking it much slower.

Also, do not put her in her cage and lock her up only before bed or when you need to go out. Throughout the day, get her in her cage for just a few seconds and then immediately let her out, praising super heavily.

Fear of being left in the cage doesn't necessarily mean she's afraid of what's in it. It seems to me like she's afraid of being put away for a long time and not being able to see or be with you.

I hope this helps you
Hm, I haven't tried not actually putting her in her cage but just slowly going towards it. I'll try this one thank you very much. I haven't really been putting her in her cage when I haven't needed to because I always felt bad so I need to toughen up I guess!

I understand she doesn't like being away from me and that's very rewarding for me, but it's definitely hard knowing it's currently stressing her out when I do put her in. I'll just keep working with her and I'm going to take your advice of approaching the cage slowly!

Thanks very much! :)

·
Registered
10,897 Posts
When she was hissing and trying to get away, were you dressed differently than what she's used to seeing? They don't like it when we put on something unfamiliar.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When she was hissing and trying to get away, were you dressed differently than what she's used to seeing? They don't like it when we put on something unfamiliar.
Not as far as I'm concerned? I mean everyday I'm wearing different clothes so I don't think it was to do with my appearance... At least I'm sure it wasn't.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Birds will ALWAYS let you know you ticked them off, but generally forgive and forget (mostly) pretty quick.

Try using millet for cage time only, I only put mine in the cage at night for sleeping and always bring her to the same spot that always ahs millet and she instantly forgets that she's gonna be separated and starts munching. She's figured out that if she stays on my hand she will get millet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts