Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ive been monitoring the nest box and the humidity levels aren't staying where they should be . They are siting around 26% i put a plastic baby food jar in there with holes in it and water about 1/4 full and it still isnt helping . What else can i do to keep the levels up ? I also have been mist bathing a few times daily since Shake and Moonpie wont go into a dish to bathe .:eek:

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
You can spray the sides of the nest box or attach cardboard to the side of the nest box and spray that :) just don't spray the bedding so bacteria won't grow.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried spraying the top and it warped the wood ! What about a wet washcloth hanging inside one that is beige ?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Try the above I don't remember who told me that- but if you've tried spraying the box also get a humidifier- its very important- and keep it running it will help the humidity levels stay up... what I've been told is that last 7 days are the most important and the levels have to be up get a humifier today if possible and spray the box if you can't do that get a piece of cardboard spray that and place in the box if the birds will be ok with that.. good luck and please keep us posted :) Best of Luck-- April :)

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok i tried the cardboard trick will see how that goes , I can't get a humidifier today but i will pick one up this week . Someone is always awake and we can make sure levels stay high till then

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Btw your birds are beautiful I'm about to find the post Susanne (Striels sent me about where the humidity should be at this point ( I believe your babies are at about 12-14 days or so am I correct?)

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Information from Striels:
OK...as to humidity you can get a gauge at Sear, Radio Shack, Home Depot, maybe even Walmart that will read temperature and humidity levels in the room. Run the humidifier when the humidity levels drop below 40-50%.

Humidity is not a major concern til the last 7 days til hatch.....so this is when you want to monitor it.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My babies are gonna start hatching any day now , i candled them today and everything looks good including movement in 2 of them i expect movement in a day or two in the other . So i found some of my problem it wasn't staying warm enough in the living room so i moved the cage to my room instead humidity is already going up in here . I bought a temp/humidity gauge last week and have been monitoring it since then today was the only day i had problems keeping it up .

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Ok I'm not sure if movin the cage was a good idea but maybe someone will chime in but please keep me posted yeah you'll have little babies soon!!! I has my first egg laid yesterday or the day before from my 2nd clutch oops nay may is 28 days old now and doing amazing

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The birds are fine with me moving the cage =D i move them around quite a bit and it doesn't bother them they are used to it

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I too am having issues with humidity and having to do all these little tricks as well. Seeings how both of our clutches are due to start this weekend, it will be interesting to see how our clutches turn out. Good luck to you! :)

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well i must be doing something right , I have just done my morning check and EGG 1 is pipping . im so excited :love:

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I just saw your post!! :) Haven't done my morning check yet.. going to wait for one of them to come out before I dig in. I don't expect pipping yet though based on previous clutches.. but we'll see!

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Now this is an idea. Question, how close to the cage can it be?

For example.. I cover the top of one side of the cage for Gibbs and Hetty because Gibbs can see the Budgies from there and he gets to squawking, alarm calling. Could I dampen this towel or is that too close?

·
Registered
10,883 Posts
I don't think there's any limit on the towel distance. As long as it isn't scaring the birds it should be OK. A towel that's approximately the same color as the birds will be less scary than something that's radically different, for example fire engine red. It's often recommended to use a bird-colored towel when you have to hold the bird for grooming or examination. If you don't have a grey towel then go for something that's a natural looking color, for example forest green shouldn't be too threatening.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts