Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the cold sore virus and was unfortunate enough to get one in the last couple days. Since Choco is always on me I got curious and googled weather this is of any harm to her (it turns out it is not?). Anyways, I came by this forum thread that somebody said the following:

Yes! There is very little birds can transfer to us and psitticosis is probably the most dangerous. Unless you have just gotten a baby bird though your chances of getting psitticosis are pretty slim. I believe it's one of the reasons they stopped the importing of wild parrots in the US and many other countries. The symptoms are similar to a cold with joint pain (so your doctor might think RA or similar rather than psitt; if you have or have been around new birds, and are having those symptoms, ask to be tested for it).
Here is what google has to say about psittacosis:

Psittacosis refers to any infection or disease caused by Chlamydia psittaci, one of several microorganisms in the genus Chlamydia. This disease can be transmitted from infected birds to humans. Parrot disease, ornithosis, and chlamydiosis are other names for psittacosis.
Wow. I was just shocked at reading this. I've been going from doctor to doctor to find the cause of two of my now inflamed arthritic fingers. They have been that way over 6 months and every doctor thinks it may be Rheumatoid Arthritis however this showed negative in my blood work.
I just bought my baby birds (3 of them) about a year ago and previously before them lost my cockatiel Waka to what seems like it could have been Chlamydia Psittaci from when I read the birdy symptoms from it.
Now, my doctor has tested me for Chlamydia Psittaci too and it showed negative. However Chlamydia Pneumonia showed positive. Is it possible that this could be Psittacosis at all? Should I re-check for this? What do you guys know about it? I also have shortness of breath (I read that too is a symptom of psittacosis), which, as of now the best diagnosis for it is anxiety/panic.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
To be on the safe side I would get checked for it. Could be nothing, but better to be safe than sorry :) Here's to hoping everything checks out clear!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Reading about disease on the internet is enough to send anyone into a panic attack! Maybe talk to your doctor again about your concerns and he will be able to reassure you or do furthur testing if it is indicated.

·
Registered
377 Posts
It seems like this thought is stuck in your head and the only way to get it out once and for all is to test your bird. Avian BioTech charges less than $20 for a Psittacosis test, and you can do it yourself in your home (though I suggest an extra set of hands that you trust, since it is a vet swab). Go ahead and get the test, and in a few days you will have peace of mind :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts