Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If Snickers makes it to a fully feathered, weaned baby (which we're obviously hoping he does, lol) then my cage will be too small for all four tiels. I've been doing some investigating, and my first preference of getting a cage like Enna (birdieness) has isn't going to be possible. They're just not available in Australia and shipping one from the US would be outrageously expensive.

So my second thought was to just buy a second cage like mine and leave two side panels off to join them in the middle. But looking more closely i figured that that would leave the stand and the grates completely useless. So at that point i felt like my bubble had been burst. :(

But today while i was laying on my bed, i was looking at the cage and thinking. While the side by side idea wouldn't work, i COULD buy a second cage, leave the front off one and the back off the other and join them to make a large square cage! I measured up the space i have for the cage in my room and i could fit it in at double the depth! The trays and grates could still sit in properly and because i just put newspaper on top of the grates the fact that it would be more challenging to slide them in and out wouldn't be an issue. The stands would still work too! Needless to say i'm quite excited by the idea and i will be hopefully saving up some money starting now to be able to make my idea a reality!

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I like the title, "Hatching A Plan". Very well thought of. :lol: Anyway, the plan sounds good. I take it that the front and backs come off easily?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Sounds good. If you have the tools though to cut sheets of metal wire then you could easily build one quite simply to the dimensions you want. I'm doing that now for Echo just using these big sheets of metal wire/grid which are 1 cm x 1cm but still quite solid.

Joining the cages together sounds like it would work though. It would be difficult to access the tray in the back cage though...

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wouldn't need to access the tray at all, i place the newspaper on the top of the grate inside the cage, so the fact that getting to the back tray would be tricky won't be a problem. I'm not comfortable using anything other than stainless steel or powder coated metal for the fids, i have to know it's bird safe. The cages are such great quality so i don't think i can go wrong, plus i'll have the ability to separate the two if there's any fighting and just have two separate cages side by side. :D

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
whoo hoo bea. now your thinking, i actually saw a cage for sale online like it but only it was made to be that way. I think it could just work out. Hope it Does. As much as i do love my cage it's just so big and i have no room not to mention i have a single one next to it and need yet another cage. Next cage will be a double stacked.

MMM bea, i think you gave me a idea. I have enough extra stand parts i think i could prob do this. although, i have to say bea, getting toys way in the back would be a bit tricky. It would give me more space. Who knows.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Found another problem you may encounter. So the cage is made to just fit on the stand. If you were to take off the back panel the stand would be to big. Also though of a solution in case you never thought of the. You know how the stand is made and you attach the wings of the metal bar that goes across to the front, Well attach to to the back the exact same way only have the bar going inwards. . Hope you understand what i'm saying here.

Not sure if you thought about this yet. I'm going to test out your ide myself with my extra damaged parts (some are only damaged slightly) because i need room as well

·
Registered
756 Posts
I have no clue how you assemble those but....

you might leave out the backs of both cages and join then that way so you can pull out both trays, you´d just need to turn sides... just a thought......

actually i´m on my way to a carpenter so I can get an outside aviary built... I would do it myself but don´t have proper tools... and doing it myself ONLY would be more hard than if I had help...

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Found another problem you may encounter. So the cage is made to just fit on the stand. If you were to take off the back panel the stand would be to big. Also though of a solution in case you never thought of the. You know how the stand is made and you attach the wings of the metal bar that goes across to the front, Well attach to to the back the exact same way only have the bar going inwards. . Hope you understand what i'm saying here.
I had spotted that problem but i was hoping it wouldn't cause a huge drama because there is also the middle bars to support it. I'm not sure what you mean with the solution though...perhaps the underside of our cages are different?

I guess you could easily get a piece of board and lay it across the stand before putting the cage on, i can't imagine getting a piece cut to size would be terribly expensive and it would eliminate the problem.
you might leave out the backs of both cages and join then that way so you can pull out both trays, you´d just need to turn sides... just a thought......
I'd thought of this also but it would mean dodging two doors instead of one with perches and toys. I will try it with just one big door, and see how easy it is for me to use, and if that doesn't work i can try with both big doors.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mine's only got the two bars on the stand too, but i don't see how leaving any off would fix the problem unless you were able to make the stand narrower....

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
These things

(excuse arrow in pic. this was a picture i used to get my replacement parts. They wern't supose to send the bars with wings on both sides)
The one with the wings on both sides (wings are the flat parts used to bolt onto the stand.) Well you would pretty much do the same thing only the bar that goes across would be in a lot more and the cage wouldn't be able to fall. I'm going to see if i can do this tomorrow. I really don't know if i can.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ahh, the bars on mine are slightly different. Rather that screwing into the front of the stand they screw into the inside of it (i.e. a screw goes from the right side of the stand, through the side stand, and into the bar). So that wouldn't work for me, but it's a great idea if that's the type of stand you have! :D

I also thought, if getting a piece of board is too tricky for me, i could just get a couple of lengths of wood and sit them along the sides of the stand so that rather than being supported from the front and back, it's supported from the sides.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Shame your stand is made differently. I think a may have a way to do this. I don't really have enough bars with with although i have the middle square part.( middle to my cage is square shape to fit the cage) and i have the correct bars to get this cage to have a stand using that. I'd just zip tie the other side of the cage to the bars to be 100% Sure there is no chance of falling off.

Such a great idea bea. i'm hoping i can get this to work out as well as i really need the room as i need to get another cage so all budgies can have the double flight, slush can have the single and were buying another double stacked in case we get another species and as of right now were not having much luck with it. Going to try very hard tomorrow to get this done as the cage needs a good clean down anyways.

Well off to bed to try and think of how to go about doing this again and see if i can find any more flaws. I think this would cut down on mess aswell. I wonder.. if i were to say drill wholes ... nah not going to think of that right now lol.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't want to have to modify anything to the point of drilling. :p I want to have the option of taking them apart as two perfect, undamaged cages.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
doesn't matter for me cause i have extra parts lol. Because they were so "nice" to me i made them replace a front panel that had a bar popped off and i have a back panel that had some damage which can easily be hidden with a toy lol. This would leave me with a cage that could have 2 doors. I'm thinking of having it so it's near the window and near the back wall and have the doors placed accordingly to make them open on the front and on a side thats not blocked by a wall. I've even thought of how to go about getting the stand to work out. Now all i need it some hard wear to do it. Not sure if i will drill it yet but rather say use strong thick quick zips in 3 places to hold it in place. I'll see when the time comes.

just spent about a hour in there getting the stand took apart and made to fit the cage. A lot of fun there. i still have to do the cage its self but i'm wondering if this will actually work. i hope so with all the work i'm doing here.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Waaaahhh, i went to double check the price of the second cage i need today, and it is the same as what i thought (at $149)....but the store had 25% off all cages IN STOCK, and they didn't have the one i wanted in stock. Such a bummer. That would've made the cost only $110 approx. I'm going to pop in tomorrow and get them to order the cage in for me i think, i don't quite have enough for it yet, but i want it to be there when i do. :p

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
lol bea. Well my attempt at this idea went down the drain. It's not going to work out the way i planned so i set it back up the way it was. But while doing this i discovered how bloody tall a double stacked cage would be and all i can say there is ouch. It's way taller then me and this wasn't even put on a stand. I'm probably say 5'4'' and this cage was well over 6'. And if it had a stand.. ouch. I don't think i'd ever get the birds down from there lol. Although, it would be nice if i were to get a double stacked then turn mine into a double stacked. It would leave us with soo much room.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts