Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two nights ago I had to do a hatch assist. The climate here in Hawaii wreaks havoc on cockatiels it seems so we keep an extra close eye.

The chick pipped on schedule, but after 36hours hadn't made any progress. She had pipped in 3 places, one of which she seemed to have worked on for a while in an area, but no actual progress (you want to essentially see a line moving around the egg). This made me suspect that the membrane had dried and stuck her in place; the most common problem I have faced with hatches. I was right; upon opening the egg the membrane was pure white (it dries white and is clear when wet).

Anyway we helped her out and she is doing great :) her name is Jennifer (a family tradition left over from my childhood) and she is gaining weight like a champ!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Sqweeeee!!!!! Take a look at all that floof :D

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Congrats!

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
The night my hubby had to do an assist hatch while I gave directions via text because I was two hours away....priceless!

Is humidity the issue that you have in Hawaii?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's one of the issues but I don't think it's the hatch issue, because it's pretty humid here, yet the eggs seem to be drying out internally and sticking the chicks in place preventing proper hatch. I have yet to figure out a way to monitor the humidity that the father doesn't destroy.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
What kind of bedding do you use?

He tears up humidity gauges huh?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I used to use course pine but I can't get it anymore so I'm using course cedar. Yes he tears them out completely. I've decided that next time I'm going to build a small cage and pvc guard into the nest box to protect the sensor and wires. They are eager enough to breed that I think they will eventually accept it. However Im not willing to risk installing it now that they are already in the box.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts