Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jackie and Sniper's clutch has begun to hatch!

Long story short, the first chick got stuck partway through hatch and I ended up preforming a hatch assist early this morning. It was my first, I was terrified, but everything went very well and baby was fully ready to come out and is back with mamma happy and warm

Now the second egg has pipped, but the baby seems to be wandering around in the air cell, cracking up and down rather than side to side... I'm looking for more info this still, but does anyone have any input?

Also, does anyone have experience needing to assist multiple birds in one clutch? My suspicion is drying of both eggs, as both had toenails put through them in the last two days. The baby who hatched this morning is well hydrated and plump, but the membrane had dried around him. I'm wondering if the toenail puncture has allowed too much drying and is interfering with the movement of the chick. It seems strange to me that two chicks from the same clutch would seem to be in need of help otherwise...

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Sometimes the babies can get disoriented, that's about the best I can come up with for the weird piping of baby number2.

As for having to assist two eggs in the same clutch...I had that happen. I'm not really sure why, and both babies made it. Low humidity may have played a part on my end so that could be what's going on for you as well.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe thats what is happening. I actually just finished assisting baby number 2 a few minutes ago. I live in Hawaii so humidity is usually not a problem, but we have had drastically cooler weather this week, parents put toenails through both eggs, and they chew up anything I try to use to monitor inside the box.

Baby seems to be doing fine. I'm about to give on final check to be sure his mommy is doing her job and keeping him warm, and then I'm off to bed! It's 2:16 am here and I pulled an all nighter last night with baby number one.

Interestingly enough, while the first egg hatched (with help) right on schedule today, the baby who hatched yesterday was the SECOND egg...

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
That's actually not uncommon. Sometimes the hen will not sit until she has laid more than one egg. I had one hen that buried her first egg and I couldn't find it for days. When it reappeared, it was fertile and everything.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jackie actually started sitting tight about 3 days before she began laying, which is why I found it strange. All 4 eggs were fertile but one developed very oddly and died early, and I believe the second one died yesterday. I'm not 100% sure of the death yet, but pretty sure. I plan to confirm tomorrow and if it is dead I will open it to see what I can learn :(

·
Registered
786 Posts
Congratulations on the success of the first two babies. Glad to hear all is good with them. Pictures when you can please??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts