Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I take my birds everywhere, even camping and i just got a new cockatiel hes 14 weeks :wf cinnamon: And I dont wanna loose him, my budgies trained to stay when im outside (Idk how he just never tried to fly away) and i know you can get harnesses.
Where do you get harnesses? Petsmart doesn't have them here and im not sure about petland.
Also the training on it?

Attachments

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
You can buy an Aviator Harness online (I got mine from eBay), they are the best brand and are also the safest. It comes with an educational dvd and there are also loads of videos and tutorials on YouTube about how to train your bird to wear the harness. The younger you can start, the better, too, so your baby would be perfect to harness train. :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
I use the Aviator Harness and Leash every morning with my Girl. I got size X-SMALL you can get on ebay and amazon or a local bird store. Don't just force it on, it took me a week to get Chicken to wear one.

CHECK OUT THE TREAD entitled 'Chicken Harness Trained', i made that to show how i Harness trained Chicken.

Hope that helps!

~Skye

·
Registered
49 Posts
I actually reccomend the avian fashions flightsuit/diaper. It's the same principle except you can put a little birdie 'panty liner' inside it that stops mess (it's great if you're a lazy sod like me who wants to have your bird running around on your nice sheets or nice clothes), but if you don't mind that then try the avian harness. My boy is clipped but I still wanted to have some kind of harness in case of a big gust of wind. I had to get him used to my hand closing around him before he would accept being put in the harness though. Palm down on his back, fingers wrapped around his chest and behind his legs, supportive but not tight, lift him up for a few seconds, then put him down again and give lots of praise and neck scratches. Don't forget that it's a very unnatural thing for a prey animal to allow you to tie something restrictive around them, no matter how tame they are.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts