Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't know where to post this, under health or breeding or whatever, so I just put it here. Hope that's okay.
Anyway I got a happy hut for buttercup. She's only 12ish weeks but I've heard that it can stimulate breeding behaviour 'cause it makes them think it's a nest or something? Like a hollowed out tree? So she's too young obviously for that to be a problem yet but here's my questions.
1. Can her having that in there now effect her breeding later? Even if I remove it later on? I don't see how it would but I thought id ask anyway.
2. How old would she be before she'd start thinking about laying? I have another girl who will be coming in soon and maybe share the same cage and she's about 6 months. Is that old enough for her to lay in the happy hut?
3. Do you have a happy hut with a female cockatiel? Any troubles with this stuff?
4. Should I just take the freakin unhappy hut out? Lol it cost me a bit of money so I've been hanging onto it but everything i read tells me I shouldn't have gotten it at all T_T

·
Registered
255 Posts
Mine never used theirs. I think the problem with them that people most worry about is that they can get their nails stuck in the fabric and all kinds of bad things. I've never experienced this, because mine never got close to theirs though.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Yeah, happy huts aren't for cockatiels, really. It's mostly conures that use them. It can definitely make her nesty, and if you're looking to avoid egg laying, I'd suggest removing it.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I got my new tiel a happy hut just in case he wanted some place to hide. So this is a good thread. So far he, if he is in fact a he, has not gone near the hut.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine uses hers as a tunnel and climbs on the top of it but never sits in it. It took her some getting used to because she had to learn she can't turn around in it lol. I am worried about it making her nesty though so I've taken it out. Such a shame, she was so cute playing in it! It had a picture of a cockatiel on the packaging so I didn't even think it might not be good for them

·
Registered
267 Posts
I've heard of birds getting their toes stuck, and even losing toes because of it. I don't use them because of the negative stories I've heard, and I would recommend not using them just in case

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok thank you! I've also taken out her triangle rope swing because I heard they can eat the strings and need surgery to get it out :s wonder what else I'm doing wrong !! Her cage is starting to look pretty bare

·
Registered
267 Posts
Ok thank you! I've also taken out her triangle rope swing because I heard they can eat the strings and need surgery to get it out :s wonder what else I'm doing wrong !! Her cage is starting to look pretty bare
Oh I know! There's so many things that pet shops sell that have dangers associated with them. I make most of my own toys now, using toy parts from online parrot shops. That way I know they're safe and can customise them to the preferences of my birds :)

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What awful stories. I'm glad I took the happy hut out, I don't want to risk any of that happening! I honestly just thought it was the nesty behaviour that was the problem but now I know it's even worse. Ridiculous they are still being sold. I've even seen them used at Birds n' All which is a well known and well respected bird place in Perth so I thought it would be ok :|

·
Registered
123 Posts
I did the same, bought loads of toys from proper pet shops and gradually over time realised every **** one of them was dangerous, I was lucky enough to find a safe toy place run by a wonderful couple so we threw everything away and started again LOL...Mind you I have to say that any toy has a risk and lots of folks may call me over cautious/protective but I don't care they are my babys ;o).....Steve

1 - 11 of 11 Posts