Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the breeder of our new GCC, Tiki told us that her birds like "leaning" on happy huts to sleep, but I have heard about dangers of happy huts. Is it just the threads detangling and the possibly of wrapping about the bird that's dangerous?

Has anybody made their own happy huts/tents out of fleece or other "no sew" fabric and have it work out well with no dangers?

Do you recommend using one or not (and why)?

Also, does anything think it would be dangerous to put him in a larger cage now since he is so young (falling hazous) or should we have him in a smaller shorter cage for now?

P.S. Tiki is 6 weeks 4 days today and flies and eats fruit, pellets, and seeds on her own.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My experience

My birds used to get their nails caught in fabric, and had a minor "sprain/ache" while pulling to free themselves. If you do regular nail-trims, it might be safer, but I have enforced a rule of "No Cloth/CoirRope" due to such incidents.

When I search online, I found worser accidents.
http://www.parrot-and-conure-world.com/happy-hut-warning.html

So, If I were you, I would be 100% sure to find if the nails are big/sharp to get entangled in the fabric, and then introduce it to them. A plastic/wooden version should be a safer alternative, but not as cozy. If a wooden version isn't available in market, Why not try to build one custom-made ? I can think of adding a soft-cardboard/carton board to give a cozy interior, while the outer is wooden, which they can chew/bite & perch.

Also, a smaller/shorter would suit now & later you can move to a bigger one. I would try to keep it as close to her old home's dimensions, so that she's adapted to it

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks your your reply. We researched and bought the prevue kenwood park 3151cage for Tiki. His cage will be right beside Taco's so they can keep each other company when we are out of the house. I think we are going to try putting Tiki in the (future permanent) cage during the day and move him into the smaller/shorter cage to sleep in at night. This sleep cage will also be in our daughter's bedroom so she can be the one to put him to bed and take him out in the mornings...hopefully she will be his favorite person as she so wants him to be 'her' bird. I want to ask what people have in sleep cages and if we need more than one perch, and if we need water in their. I will post a separate thread asking this perhaps.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm glad to see this subject brought up again and think it should be brought up often. I wish I'd seen that link sooner, thanks to Arun for posting. Although my own incident could have gone much worse I think some good has come from it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts