Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got an aviator harness, and my cockatiel is cool with it now; she's not afraid of being near it, will nibble on it. I hang it on her water bottle all day so she's always near it if she has to eat or drink.

But she's very nervous about anything going over her head. I'm using the harness, but not the small part that goes over her head, to get her used to it. I mean, I make a huge loop with the part that goes under the wing to get her used to the idea of it going over her head. The loop is big enough that she'd be able to walk through it without feeling it. So far I've done four sessions, but she doesn't seem to be improving when I try to just put the loop over her head. She'll duck or try to bite it, etc.

I've also been working on her getting used to me touching her wings and lifting them. She's gotten okay with that, but if I make a circle with my fingers and try to go near her head, she doesn't like it at all.

Any tips on how to get her used to this? Or training techniques?

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Rocko is so used to his harness now he dosent even bite it anymore Rocko didnt like the idea of it going over his head either what I did was hold the head part of the harness hang it over his head and when he stays still reward then go closer down the head when he stays still reward and repeat everyday until he finally allows it over his head also Rockos harness is a size extra small so the head loop would probably be bigger than the petite and I dont know how to help you with the wings because Rocko just lets me hold up his wings

1 - 2 of 2 Posts