Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In early spring I allowed my pair of cockatiels to breed. Out of 6 eggs I got 5 live baby's who all survived. At 3-4 weeks old I pulled them for handfeeding because the mom went back to nest (I did not allow her to hatch a second clutch) and the babies came out of the nest themselves. The father was looking after the babies but was also trying to mount the little hens so I decided to hand raise them. Out of the 5 babies I found great home for 4 of them and kept the 5th who is a whiteface male with pied ticking on the back of his head. All of the other babies are super sweet cuddly tame babies. He was treated exactly the same as the rest however as he gets older he is getting wilder and wilder. He used to be sweet and allow touching and scratching. Then he got so he didn't want to be touched, which was fine. Then he didn't want to have any contact and would fly and fly so we couldn't catch him. That is not an option in our house so we reluctantly clipped his wings. He would step up to go where he needed and if on the floor would run right over to step up and get put back up on the stand or cage. Now he refuses to even step up out of the cage. If on the floor he runs away... He just gets wilder and wilder... I am at a loss as to what to do with him. He will still step up in the cage to be taken out for the day, however for any other reason he runs.. He has never been harshly treated or scared. As a matter of fact he is not scared of us, it is just like he hates up, me more than anyone else and I am the one who handfed him and I am also the one who looks after and feeds them all... I am not upset that he does not want me, I am very frustrated with his behavior and worried he is not a happy boy although he does get out every day to hang with the budgies and the other tiels. If I lived in an area where he could live in an outside aviary I would do that as I think he would be happier that way, however I don't and I am not getting rid of him as I doubt he would have a good life anywhere else with his personality. I just wonder if some birds are just not right in the head? Can some just be born wild? He was handled from the day he was hatched by ME so I know he has never been mistreated although to see him you would think he was very mistreated and neglected. All of the other babies are still silly tame and sweet. He is now around 6 months old.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yes, it is absolutely possible for a bird to be born more wild than others, even if they were well socialized, and from the same clutch as more tame birds. I have seen this quite a bit. I have had many handfed birds that were tame when babies and lost it as they got older. And I've also had parent-raised birds without a ton of socialization that stayed tame into adulthood. Some birds just prefer the company of birds and others really enjoy interacting with people.

They are still tamable to some extent, he just may never be quite like his clutchmates. I usually just let these birds live with other birds and back off of them.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it is absolutely possible for a bird to be born more wild than others, even if they were well socialized, and from the same clutch as more tame birds. I have seen this quite a bit. I have had many handfed birds that were tame when babies and lost it as they got older. And I've also had parent-raised birds without a ton of socialization that stayed tame into adulthood. Some birds just prefer the company of birds and others really enjoy interacting with people.

They are still tamable to some extent, he just may never be quite like his clutchmates. I usually just let these birds live with other birds and back off of them.
Thanks, he lives in our bird room and I have set up a tall skinny spare cage on the floor in front of his cage, he will have to remain clipped (as much as I hate that idea) for his own safety and so we can get him back in his cage when necessary, and he will climb the cage to get off the floor when he lands down there. So he does live cage free most of the day in the bird room with his Mom and Dad, (who both are tame) and 5 budgies. On the other side of the room are a green cheek conure and a parrotlet who remain in the cage thru the day if I cannot be in there and get out while I am in the room they out the day and into the living room in the evenings for their out of cage time. I just wish I could communicate with him. I don't care if he doesn't want to be handled , I respect that. I just want him to be happy and healthy.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Also if you handfed him he may be at that point in his life where he wants to move away from his parents and find a mate. You may find he attaches to someone else in your household or another bird :)

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
And being male, he may be going through the bratty puberty stage they all seem to hit. My Fuzzy was an absolute sweetheart when we brought him home. When he went through this, it was terrible, he was not happy at all. He did not want my hubby near him (I think he saw him as competition) and let it be known that my hubby couldn't touch him. They eventually get over it, but it does take time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts