Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my cockatiel Reggie for 3 months now and and I'm working on trying to get him used to me. When he steps up onto my hand off the top of his cage he raises his wings out and holds them there. I'm wondering what does this mean? Also does anyone have any tips on how to get him to stay on my hand? He will Step up and stay there for a few seconds and then hop back onto his cage.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
hand taming

Welcome to the forum! What a beautiful bird! I think the wing stretching is just that - stretching. My bird does it too, sometimes a full stretch like that, sometimes raising the wings just at the shoulder with wrists still folded. Does your bird like his head scratched? Some birds will sit on your finger to get their "scritches." Bennie will let me scratch his head some, but not for long. You could hold a piece of millet in your fingers and let him nibble it while he's on your hand. That would help associate your hand with good things.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have had my cockatiel Reggie for 3 months now and and I'm working on trying to get him used to me. When he steps up onto my hand off the top of his cage he raises his wings out and holds them there. I'm wondering what does this mean? Also does anyone have any tips on how to get him to stay on my hand? He will Step up and stay there for a few seconds and then hop back onto his cage.
Can he fly ?

When he steps onto your hand, slowly and gently move him AWAY from his cage. Now he can't hop back onto it.

Stand away from the cage or sit down on a nearby chair with him on your finger and talk to him in a gentle, slow voice.

It's a start.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts