Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I have a new tiel I've had him for 2 weeks now, he's 2 years old. I got him from a rescue who said he was hand tame however he is afraid of my hand. He comes out of his cage on his own no problem. He sings and seems really happy. I can get within an inch of him with millet but as soon as I try to touch him he moves away. Today I had my budgie on my hand to show try to show him that I'm not scary and he started to spread his wings on and off on his cage. What does this mean? How can I get him to not be afraid of me? I feel like I'm stuck and not moving forward with his hand taming. When I approach his cage he is ahppy to see me he doesn't move away he comes to the front, when I put my hand in the cage he's fine, and he will eat from my hand but I can't touch him!

Attachments

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
He's still feeling nervous and needs more time to get used to you. Keep on feeding him millet spray from your hand but go slow on trying to touch him.

You can work on getting him to step up on your hand to reach the millet spray. Start out holding the millet where it's easy to reach, then gradually move it so he has to stick his head over your other hand to get it, and then move it so he actually has to step on the hand to get it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts