Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new to Talk Cockatiels, but I have been reading the forums for a while now.
I need some advice/moral support from other avid cockatiel lovers and people who have hand-reared them.
I have a 22 day old tiel that I have been rearing since it was 13 days. It was the only chick in the clutch. I have gone through a lot with it already, like slow crop which stressed the heck out of me. I got it checked for yeast (no yeast)and eventually got the crop moving regularly using a specific feeding routine and some supplements.
But it seems like now that the slow crop is under control, the little bird has developed a chronic sneeze and just looking under the weather at random times of the day. I took it to a bird vet and now it's on antibiotics.
I keep it in a warm brooder, I syringe feed it very slowly, I use two different brands of formulas because apparently that is better....
I am trying my best.
I just wanted to know if there is anyone else who has had chicks who just seem to be a bit sickly but end up surviving and going on to be healthy adults? Is this kinda normal?
I love the little dude so much. I want him to have a long and happy life with me.
Sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I haven't had to hand feed a chick yet only give it coconut water, Bear was dehydrated and stunted when he was little and I suspected a slow crop but he's nearly three months old now and doing great :) at the moment I have a sick 26 day old chick who may have psittacosis and we have no idea if the little one is going to make it, he's being treated and going to the vets next week so I know the feeling.

Don't know if it helps but this site was great for me http://www.internationalcockatielresource.com/

Good Luck and I'll be wishing the best for your little bub

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The little dude has got a major cold or flu.. always wet sneezing and very quiet and subdued. Took him to the bird vet again on Friday because his condition seemed worse, he was gasping for breath and not eating well. It feels now like his crop has shrunk or something.
He is still alive, and ate this morning.
I am hoping he has it in him to pull through.

Thank you for your reply blueybluesky

·
Registered
385 Posts
Praying for your precious little baby! <3
My thoughts and prayers are with you!

My Tiki was 5months old when I got him a month ago, and he's my first ever bird if you don't count a budgie I had when I was little that wasn't even hand tame :p

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
Ther is a link in the first collage. Go online and order the AviPow.

While you are waiting for it to arrived, get the product in the 2nd pix ASAP It can be found at most health food stores. I give 1/2 capsule each feeding.

The little dude has got a major cold or flu.. always wet sneezing and very quiet and subdued.

While at the health food store get Carotene or Liquid Vitamin A either one. It is supportive care for respiratory problems. I mix a 1/2 capsule or 2 drops in the formula each feeding. OR ask your vet di give a multi-vitamin shot that does contain A and E.

It feels now like his crop has shrunk or something.
It could be lined with yeast, whic will reduce crop capacity for formula. The last illustration has some info.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts