Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I put this in the wrong category so reposting here. I'm looking to buy a cockatiel and not sure whether the hand reared ones are worth the price? There's a guy who has some hand reared and is asking for £120, other babies in my area are usually £25-£30 so its a huge difference in price. I've only kept budgies before and haven't ever had trouble taming them, are cockatiels easier/harder to tame than budgies? Do you think the hand reared are worth the extra money?

·
Registered
10,791 Posts
If you can tame budgies easily, you can probably tame a cockatiel easily too. They're considered to be mellow, easy-going birds. There's always a risk though that a specific individual will never settle down, especially if you have other birds in the house to keep him company.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you tielfan, I wasn't 100% sure how having budgies about would impact on taming the cockatiel. I know if you have another of their own species they'll bond with them more than you, I wasn't sure if the same thing would happen with another species. I will of course be quarantining the new cockatiel whichever route I take which will give me time to be one-on-one with them before they meet the rest of my pets and hopefully give me a head start on building a bond.

Have you got hand or parent reared?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have had a few of both. My hand-reared ones have been much more bonded to me. Although the aviary-bed ones accept being handled, the hand-raised ones crave human interaction and seek it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts