Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My little guy has sadly had a stroke but he's otherwise happy and moving about. He's back from the vet who was crop feeding him but he was also eating and drinking himself. He's now blind in one eye with limited vision in the other so he's not too confident moving around a lot yet. I can see he is eating and drinking but I know he isn't getting enough since I am weighing him and he losing weight.

I'm going to start hand feeding him twice a day until he starts to be more independent but I don't know how much I should give him each feed. Anyone had experience hand feeding and older tiel and what volume of formula?

·
Registered
10,925 Posts
Before you start giving him handfeeding formula, you can try giving him familiar food from your hand to encourage him to eat. It can be difficult to teach an adult bird to eat new foods, so he may resist the handfeeding formula. He's going through a difficult time already, and you don't want to traumatize him more if you can avoid it. I'm assuming that you're planning to use a syringe or a spoon rather than using a crop feeding technique.

But he's not likely to resist if you hold food that he already likes right in his face, and it's easier for him than going to the food bowl himself to get it. This is a good time to let him eat high-calorie foods like hemp seed or sunflower seed. Both are very nutritious (especially the hemp seed), although they're not as nutritionally balanced as handfeeding formula. You can hold other nutritious foods for him to eat too, and you can encourage him to try handfeeding formula by putting a little dab on your finger that he can lick off.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.