Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone,

so here's the story, my female started laying eggs when my other clutch was fledging and so i thought to myself that i would let her raise the babies until they were old enough so i could take them out to hand feed, then i would take down the nest box and let her rest for a long long while.

but then my parents we're putting in wood floors and had to move the computer and tv in my room and ever since then she wouldn't go in the nest box at night or she would sit on them at night and then if she heard any sound she would come out of the box,

so i made myself a incubator and put the eggs in it (i searched on how to make an incubator) also i took down the nest box.

so now a chick hatched today and im just waiting for the yolk to be gone so here are my questions

1) do i need to feed the baby during the night also?
2) how should the formula be when i feed the baby?, im using kaytee exact

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Yes you need to feed during the night for the first 2 to 2 and half weeks. It is a lot more work then a older baby. You need to make the formula a lot thinner. Make it very watery. Here is a site that I use and it's been very helpful. You are going to have to handfeed every 2 hours for the first 4 days. Then every 3 hours. If you need help you can call me or e-mail.

http://www.cockatiel.org/articles/handfeeding.html

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
the temp of formula MUST BE 104f-106f when you feed it ....
and you will have to feed every 2 hours for 1st while....
1-4 days 2hrs apart 1-2cc or ml its the same....
5-7 days 3 hrs apart 2-3 cc/ml
8-14 days 4 hrs apart 4-6cc/ml
15-24 days 5 hrs apart 7-10cc/ml
after this srtiels has a sticky for feeding 3-4 week olds...
you would then feed two feedings 6 hrs between each with a 12hr overnight break for bed til morning
for example 7am ,1pm with final feeding 7 pm or 11am,5pm 11pm etc
whatever works for your scheduale
hope this helps

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the reply's

the baby is doing well, i've been feeding him\her and there are no problems,

here are some photos of him/her

Attachments

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
is mom a lutino? If not you have a pretty little girl on your hands :)

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
well best of luck to you and this little boy or girl:D and also the rest of the clutch if there are more to hatch!

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
If dad isn't a visual then he's split lutino as well....good luck with the baby!:D

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
The baby is doing great and i am happy that he is still with me and im happy with myself as i never hand fed a baby this young before!:D

Also another chick is going to hatch soon as i hear it pipping inside its egg but no pip mark yet. hopefully it hatches tomorrow or tuesday!
any ways here a new photos of the baby after i just fed the little guy.

also pictures of the parents.

also to debbie05 i seen the photos of your new baby and he/she is very cute!

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
On monday the second baby hatched! its so small compared to the first chick!
This two may be the only ones from this clutch of eggs! but thats okay this two are a handful to feed! :D i will post a photo each day or when i get a chance too!

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Aw two little lutinos....great job!!!:love:

·
Registered
10,912 Posts
Gorgeous babies! I have to say though that it makes me nervous to see a picture of a tiel baby lying on its back with a full crop. I've heard that budgie babies often lie on their backs to be fed, but I have never seen a tiel chick voluntarily lie on its back for any reason. I don't think it's natural for them, and there might be a risk of aspiration if this position makes the baby spit up any of the food in its crop.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
They are so sweet!:D

1 - 20 of 41 Posts