Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, my cockatiel has 3 months old and she only eat by hand.

there is any way to make her eat alone?

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
When you say hand feed.. do you mean she will only eat food out of your hand and not the dish? Or do you mean you are hand feeding her with a syringe? Have you had her long? Is the food dish at the top of near the bottom of the cage? It might just be she's not sure where the food is. What do you feed her?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you say hand feed.. do you mean she will only eat food out of your hand and not the dish? Or do you mean you are hand feeding her with a syringe? Have you had her long? Is the food dish at the top of near the bottom of the cage? It might just be she's not sure where the food is. What do you feed her?
when I say hand feed I mean that only eats for a syringe, I got my cockatiel since she only had one week. when she was one month and a half I started trying to eat it alone putting a plate on the bottom of the cage but she only eats a few seeds that are not sufficient to feed herself. if there is any way you will leave the syringe would be grateful

·
Banned
820 Posts
At 12weeks she should be weaned and capable of eating enough to not need hand feeding.
I know hand feed young do take a bit longer to wean.

As I have just read your reply. I have deleted some of my comments.
I am not sure what you should do in this case, as I have never done this.
My two four week old young (parent raised) are starting to forage on the floor and I have seen them trying foods already. And I feel parent raised young are weaned by 7 to 8 weeks.

Have you tried her on softer foods. Like fresh sprouts, soaked seed, porridge. greens.
Even pellets soften in water.
Be careful with any soaked foods though, it goes off very quickly.
She may even get the idea if you pretend to eat food before you offer her some.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Three months is a bit old for hand feeding, but only stop hand feeding when she is completely eating on her own and eating enough. Have a variety of food available for her in many different spots in the cage. Millet is a good food for weaning. Most tiels are very willing to eat this.
My tiel Ellie is still being fed by the parents at least once a day and she is 11 weeks old now. Where as Riki was fully weaned at 8 weeks. Each bird is different.:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the help everyone, maybe the problem is the type of food I'm giving. I will follow your advice and put several different types in the cage to see which she prefers. Once again, thanks for your help:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts