Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:D So Cousteau is an AMAZING flier. He just amazes me. I was only able to get one shot with is wings out. I don't know how you guys manage to get so many pictures with their wings spread... must have a camera man? :)

Of course I've got to hold him, and aim the camera at the same time. Anyway- enough delay!

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I have never got a picture of mine with there wings spread either :p LOL!!
Cousteau is a really handsome boy !! :):D
P.S Great picture !

·
Registered
302 Posts
Wow!

He's one nice looking man.
Before you know it he'll be a heartbreaker!.. lol

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Nice picture! Are you growing out his wings or clipping them? They look somewhere in the middle right now.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Wonderful Photo...He is gorgeous!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, he flies even with clipped wings. LIke... he'll FLY. So why not? He's my only flier. I'm letting them all grow out. I was before, but when they went to the sitter, I clipped them. I was scared. lol.

Boomer used to fly (hence his name "boomerang") but now he flaps, and goes straight down. lol. I kept making him try, so finally he started trying himself. He didn't get very far.

Cousteau grows his wings REALLY fast. But see in the picture... his left tip feather? Above it at the "knuckle" area, it's pinkish? He's got broken capilaries or something? Or do you really see the blood inside the little casing? I mean, he's not bleeding, and he flies (incredibly well) but it looks gross. The blood is on the inside, NOT the outside.

Birdies wings... lol. They're slooooooow growing.

·
Registered
581 Posts
i cant see any pikkies...:(...
but yeah i have 6 tiels with one 'flyer' who has completely grown out wings....
all the others are clipped for training
when i move to a new house soon though, she will also have to be clipped till she knows the layout of the new house...
i love having flighted birds!
i also have 14 flighted budgies, in their own room, they love it!

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
but when they went to the sitter, I clipped them. I was scared. lol.
I'd probably clip mine as well if they were to go to a sitter. I tend to not trust ANYONE with my birds...:rolleyes:

Cousteau grows his wings REALLY fast. But see in the picture... his left tip feather? Above it at the "knuckle" area, it's pinkish? He's got broken capilaries or something? Or do you really see the blood inside the little casing? I mean, he's not bleeding, and he flies (incredibly well) but it looks gross. The blood is on the inside, NOT the outside.
Those are his new feathers growing out. When a new feather comes in it's still covered by the casing you see and it still has blood flow. As the feather grows out, the casing (keratin) falls off (the dust you see) and the blood retracts. In his case if he was to accidently break the new growing feather he would have what you'd call a broken blood feather. Mature feathers have no blood inside the shaft. The reason it's very obvious to you is because of his light color.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts