Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I went grocery shopping this morning and ofcourse the babies are included...
I set out for some special treats for the babies too! :) After a long search I found the 15 bean soup mix!!! It was at my local Publix grocery store after all but tucked away with all the dried beans at the top of the shelf so that's why I never found it before. :rolleyes:

I also got them a bag of dried organic chilli peppers!:D I kept buying the big parrot treat mixes and all they really liked out of it was the chilli peppers and the peanuts so I'm glad I found them separate!

Then, I got them some cinnamon sticks, also as a snack. It'll be their first time trying them so we'll see how it goes....

After all that, they also got a bag of their regular mixed veggies, some bok choy, parsley, raspberries, green pepper and some millet (more for the budgies then the tiels)...

That concludes this grocery shopping trip but I think they'll be very happy.:D

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Spoilt birds hehe. :rolleyes: I hope they enjoy and appreciate their feast!

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They better! I know they'll like the chilli peppers, veggies and all that stuff... I'm still wondering how to cook the beans. I know I have to cook them super well but do I have to soak them before or no?

·
Registered
215 Posts
:) We know who's wings you're wrapped around!

That's ok. When we were grocery shopping my mate was like "didn't you say cinnamon sticks were good for birds?" and HE tossed some into the cart! I've also got some lettuce growing on our balcony for them.... You're not alone on this one!

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Are there directions on the back of the bean mix? Usually with that type of thing you soak them over night and then cook them.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are two sets of directions- one traditional, one quick method.. The traditional requires soaking for atleast 8hrs and then cooking for two,the quick one says to wash, rinse, etc and cook for an hour and a a half. I think I'll put half a packet to soak in the morning so when I get home from work tomorrow I can make them.

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
Wow lucky birds :D I want to find some corn on the cob for Spike and Icarus. It was Icarus's first birthday on the 27th but I was too sick to go and buy him a treat. He did get a nice toy though :)

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
glad you found the beans I didn't think they were that uncommon LOL as i've lived in 3 different states and had no trouble finding them but maybe that's because the states ive lived in are big Soup bean eaters LOL

when my b/f cooks them (he makes the birdie bread actually, i just mix up the muffin mix and take the credit LOL) he cooks them for well over an hour he doesn't soak them before hand just rinses them and cooks them, by the time the beans are done there usally isn't any water left in the pan

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Since we are on the topic of beans. Does anyone know of any beans that are not good for birds?
Most beans should be FULLY cooked or they can cause digestive problems. Some are acctually toxic unless fully cooked.
I know Lima bean is one that needs to be fully cooked to be safe.
Coffee/Java bean is toxic cooked or uncooked.
Black beans are should be young and fully cooked.
There are some more but I can't remember them off the top of my head.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts