Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello yesterday was a very bad day for our family. On Friday at around 5 pm we received the Volkman cockatiel food we ordered from Amazon. At around 10 we hear a commotion we go and check and see one of our birds Precious passed out in the cage. She is the biggest of our birds and eats the most. She passed away within seconds of us going out there.
We did not know what was going on or what happened. We briefly thought could it be the food but sort of dismissed it because it was one bird. The next morning we check on the birds everyone is ok a little sad but normal. We let them out. The food for our birds is on top of the cage only one bird stayed in the cage. Within 2 hours of letting our daughter comes holding Melly he is breathing hard and can't stand.
As we watch in horror one by one our birds all start staggering and falling. In 10 mins 5 more of our birds passed away. The only one still alive is Anastasia who did not eat for the morning.
We're numb. We don't know what to do. We want to get the food tested but don't know how to go about this. But right now we have a bird calling for her mate Prince who passed away. Her children Gray, Sage and Safflower, her grandson Melly even her love hate frenemy Precious all gone. What can we do to help her get through this. I apologize for the long post.
Please beware! This may have been a one off with them even though we don't normally buy that brand, I understand that it is a reputable company but our family is devastated tight now.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I'm so sorry about your losses - that's such sad news.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
grieving

Oh how horrible! I can't imagine how it would be to lose your birds like that! Can your veterinarian help out! Could you take some of the food there? I'd certainly call or e-mail the company and let them know.
Is there anything else they could have gotten into near their cage? But it does sound like it was the food.
I am so sorry. I hope you can find some answers.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am so, so sorry for your losses - how horrible and heartbreaking that is. Volkmans has contact information on the bag of that food (if you don't have it, I can give it to you) and I stress that you should contact them about this. Hopefully you can find something out and if you do, please post it here. I feed my boy that same food and after reading your episode I'm afraid to give it to him. Again, so, so sorry.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts