Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
my baby lulu is 7 weeks old, I was told she was a female and I thought she was a grey tiel.

now I'm noticing yellow spots on the back of her head and around her cheek patches, I'm not sure about her gender too, because lately she makes some weird sounds like little squeaky whistles, it almost sound like she is trying to learn a whistle or talking?!?? she does that a couple of times everyday when she's in her cage, when she's out she calls out and starts flying to the dresser or to my shoulder and can sit there for hours :love:

any help or tips please! :grey tiel:

here's some pictures :grey tiel:

·
Registered
761 Posts
She looks and sounds just like Murray! I'm told Murray is normal grey split to pied, indicated by the yellow spots. That means she carries the pied gene, but she's not actually pied herself, or so it was explained to me. I think yours must be too! Murray is female, and she does make an almost speech-like 'jibber jabber' sound when she is being (playfully) territorial or teaching a toy who's boss ;) That was the main reason I thought she was male as a baby, but she never learned to whistle or imitate and it's clear now from her appearance and behaviour that she's a she. Maybe yours is the same?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She looks and sounds just like Murray! I'm told Murray is normal grey split to pied, indicated by the yellow spots. That means she carries the pied gene, but she's not actually pied herself, or so it was explained to me. I think yours must be too! Murray is female, and she does make an almost speech-like 'jibber jabber' sound when she is being (playfully) territorial or teaching a toy who's boss ;) That was the main reason I thought she was male as a baby, but she never learned to whistle or imitate and it's clear now from her appearance and behaviour that she's a she. Maybe yours is the same?
yes, it sounds exactly like that! and she likes to teach everything who's boss xD
Murray is so cute ~:love::lol:

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
:love: Forgive me while I slip into gushy mode.. That has got to be one of the most precious little faces I have ever seen! The 3rd picture made my heart melt all over the place! :love:

·
Registered
885 Posts
OMG. What a gorgeous baby!!

I had a cinnamon chick a few years ago with a cute yellow stripe on the back of her head and I was told she was cinnamon split to pied. I am still learning about cockatiel genetics and mutations, but i'm going to agree with the others and say your baby is grey split to pied!

I really hope you continue to post pictures of Lulu! Because I (and the rest of us) would love to see her grow!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Lulu is indeed split to pied. As for her gender, it is true that males are generally more vocal than females, but I generally find tht this is not a very reliable manner of judging sex. It is possible that we could confirm her sex based on her parents' mutations. Could you tell us those?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Lulu is indeed split to pied. As for her gender, it is true that males are generally more vocal than females, but I generally find tht this is not a very reliable manner of judging sex. It is possible that we could confirm her sex based on her parents' mutations. Could you tell us those?
I totally agree, because I have noticed that with hand-fed cockatiel, most if not all the offspring are outgoing and vocal. It can be a sign that it is a male, but it is not a true indicator.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:love: Forgive me while I slip into gushy mode.. That has got to be one of the most precious little faces I have ever seen! The 3rd picture made my heart melt all over the place! :love:
I totally understand how you feel! cockatiels are too cute for words!! :love:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OMG. What a gorgeous baby!!

I had a cinnamon chick a few years ago with a cute yellow stripe on the back of her head and I was told she was cinnamon split to pied. I am still learning about cockatiel genetics and mutations, but i'm going to agree with the others and say your baby is grey split to pied!

I really hope you continue to post pictures of Lulu! Because I (and the rest of us) would love to see her grow!
I'm still learning about cockatiel genetics too and I didn't understand the split to pied until now :)

thank you! I will keep posting. it's really amazing how fast baby tiels grow :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got Lulu from a breeder I met near a pet shop, she was 3-4 weeks old, I'm planning to find him to ask about her parents' mutations, I will update you on that :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I totally agree, because I have noticed that with hand-fed cockatiel, most if not all the offspring are outgoing and vocal. It can be a sign that it is a male, but it is not a true indicator.
I'm still learning about cockatiels, what you said makes sense because Lulu is hand fed, that explain the sounds she makes! :)

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have nothing else to add other than to repeat everyone else by saying HOW CUTE!! d'aww .. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts