Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

It's been quite awhile since I posted last, got a new phone and it was giving me trouble signing in here and I have been super busy the past few months.

Sooo Cosmo has become quite the brainiac and a little Velcro birdy!

He flys to me and my boyfriend when we do our special whistle or if I say "come here baby" he will also fly to me. For only having him for a little over a year and soo scared and not tame when we got him, he has bonded incredibly to me, my boyfriend, and our dog Brieo. He always wants to be with us and always on me just to hang out. I read that it's not uncommon for parrots to consider the family dog a part of their flock. Luckily our 20 lb dog isn't phased by him because Cosmo has flown onto Brieo's head or on him to hang out.

I can't keep up with my little fast learner! He does so many tricks, whistles, and talks it's incredible how much of a little sponge he is! Recently we taught him to whistle "if your happy and you know it" He will still bust out "Jingle Bells" even though we tell him Christmas is over :) I'm trying to teach him the "West Coast Whistle" because he really took to it. Both my boyfriend and I were in different rooms and heard him whistling along to the west coast whistle part of "Ain't Nothing but a G thang". :lol:

He also now waves and says "Hi" in his scratchy birdy voice if I tell him to wave and say hi. He has amazed so many visitors with him waving and saying hi to them. He is a little show off so when people come over he loves to show our guest all his tricks and shower them with kisses.

This one I just taught him last week and I'm the most impressed by especially because he learned it in one little sesson of me teaching him! I will start singing "Rinnngggg the belllll, ring the bell, Cosmo ring the bell" and if he doesn't go over to his kabob with the bell by then I will ask "Cosmo ring the bell!" And he will climb over to the bell from wherever he is at in his castle and ring it!

I told my boyfriend by next year I'll be having him go to the mail box and bringing my mail back for me. Tiel Express haha

I do for real want to know what other "task" I could teach Cosmo? It really has got me thinking if he can associate a task by me asking him to do it, what other things could a cockatiel learn to do?
He thrives off learning and I believe it strengthens our bond by me teaching him new things. So what are some other things I can teach mr brainiac Cosmo?

Hope everyone is doing good!

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Hello! Welcome back! Technology is great, when it works. :D Sorry to hear your phone was giving you such troubles.

Amazing to hear what Cosmo has been up to. I fear my boy is a bit of an underachiever after reading all of that. :D

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Greetings

Hi -greetings to you and Cosmo, too! Sounds lie you are really having a lot of fun with him. He must really be a smart little guy to catch on so quickly. As much as i love my little Bennie, he doesn't seem to learn things very quickly, if at all. But one thing he did learn that I think is cute is "Where's your little friend?" I have a mirror in his cage and that's his "friend." When Bennie is on top of the cage, I tell him "Where's your little friend?" and he runs over and taps the top of the clip holding it to the cage. Then I get it out for him to see and talk to. (It is on YouTube,but I don't know how to post the link. If you look up my name "TheJLAtwell", there are 2 videos I have posted.)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Glad to be back!

Please don't ever believe your birdies can't learn too!
Honestly I'm just good with animals and have a special ability with them. People call me the animal whisperer and ace venturea :lol: I think as humans we have to do more of the learning than the animal does when it comes to training. We have to learn about them and what motivates them. Plus there has to be trust and understanding so you can help build their confidence. So LOTS of positive reinforcement:)

I watched a lot of BirdTricks YouTube videos with the couple Dave and Jamielee. They have loads of information and tips to help with training, plus their life is so interesting! The best tip is "When you get to thinking okay just one more time and your parrot has lost interest it's time to stop the session" key advice! I only teach Cosmo things when he is motivated and interested and I stop when I can tell he is over it. Then I go back a few minutes later and ask him to do whatever we were working on and give him a treat just to confirm he understands what i taught him and it seems like he remembers it pretty well.

I hope I can inspire someone to spend a little time with their tiel and teach them something new. :) It really strengthens the bond and plus you can amaze your guests with your birdy conversation piece :lol:

I really think Cosmo helps educate people on birds/cockatiels. So many people had bad experiences with birds and are amazed when they meet Cosmo or when me and my SO talk about him. Everyone has a misconception that birds are loud, crazy, mean, biters, will fly and attack you, messy, and dirty animals. None of this is true if you are a responsible, loving, and educated Fid parent. I need a bumper sticker that says "My parrot is smarter than your kid" :lol:

I get excited when I think about Cosmo in the future, I wonder what other things is he capable of learning and doing. It's only been a year and he already learned over 15 different things plus I tamed him on top of it. Just no scritches :( except if he is in the shower, but I'm okay with no touchy bird, I rather people not accidentally turn my bird on :lol: Which speaking of, I do wonder/worry about the sexual mature age. I'm scared he is going to turn completely different once he reaches that age and not be my buddy anymore or worse! him thinking I'm his bird girlfriend 8-|

Anyone can think of other tricks I can teach Cosmo? I will load it up to YouTube if he learns it! He already knows "pretty bird" where he puts out his wings, turn around, give me a kiss/kisses, "come here" he flys to me, wave, wave and say "hi",and ring the bell.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But one thing he did learn that I think is cute is "Where's your little friend?" I have a mirror in his cage and that's his "friend." When Bennie is on top of the cage, I tell him "Where's your little friend?" and he runs over and taps the top of the clip holding it to the cage. Then I get it out for him to see and talk to. (It is on YouTube,but I don't know how to post the link. If you look up my name "TheJLAtwell", there are 2 videos I have posted.)
I believe I've seen your video before! He is such a cutie pie!! Bennie is a smart cookie! That's so cool he says all that and it seems like he has so much fun playing with you. What a good little birdy! :tiel1:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts