Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! So fall is almost here where I live and we have been planning on installing a wood granule fire place to heat our house. Any one not familiar with a granule fire place, it's a closed (no open flames) slow burning fire place/stove. You put wood pellets/granules in it and it burns it at a controlled speed for the selected heat output.

The thing is, is that we live in a single mobile house so there's not much space to keep the birds away from it when they'll be out. I was thinking about installing a ceiling to floor rail track (like the ones they have at banks but more meshing that plastic) so that the birds can't fly on top of it and accidentally fall on it and get burned.

I'm wondering what the members' thoughts on here are and if you guys have any suggestions or warnings? Any advice/input is greatly appreciated! :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hello,

Have you considered putting a mesh rack around the fireplace? I have seen them around, they cover each side and any space above. Not sure of it's official name, though if you are into DIY you could make a stainless steel mesh guard. You could also screen it off, if you'd like. Although, your idea of ceiling to floor sounds better, as the material may be hot from the fireplace and still burn the birds' feet.

Beware of any galvanized material, as it causes zinc poisoning in cockatiels.

I have never tried this, so I would first ask an avian professional or a veterinarian.

Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts