Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I board my bird at the vets when I have to leave town on business (since my bird was almost killed when he was boarded at some woman's house due to the fault of the woman "caring" for him, so I now only feel safe with boarding him at the vet) and the vet says my bird "needs" gram stains once a year. I know I have the right to DECLINE grams stains but vet insists he have it done.

... because my old vet said last time it was bad (claims he had bacteria) and she treated it with antibiotics. My bird is 100% healthy now and has long recovered from the physical injury he sustained and I certainly do NOT want any vet to give him antibiotics unnecessarily. Excess usage of antibiotics is unsafe and NOT good. Excess usage of antibiotics is such an incredibly serious problem and I won't allow it.

I find it rather odd and quite bizarre that a perfectly healthy bird would need to be given antibiotics let alone gram stains? I'm not very fond of doctors, vets etc... they are money trolls and will do every and anything possible to get more $$$. The injury my tiel sustained last year cost me $5,000! They are as bad as attorneys and big pharmas!

Anyone else here have grams stains for their tiel?

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Omg lil Rascal could of been dead did the woman say sorry? How old is lil rascal hes so cute im glad he lived I hope Rocko lives hes sick at the moment and im waiting for the Vet to contact me.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Both of mine had gram stains. Gram stains as I understand is used to identify bacteria. Maybe healthy birds still have bacteria in their crop and a stain can identify them to ascertain if they are good or bad?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Vets are money trolls (not all but many are) they will do every test that exists just to get more $$$

Rascal is perfectly healthy and I would refuse antibiotics as that is extremely harmful when over prescribed which so many MDs do unfortunately. Some are even stupid enough to give antibiotics for the common cold!! I've witnessed this time and time again. This is totally unacceptable. I am positive vet would give him antibiotics.

I contacted another vet who is not local to me and was told gram stains can be declined (only chlamydia test once year is required for boarding) and it does cause some to prescribe antibiotics unnecessarily. Was told since my bird already got antibiotics few months ago he should be perfectly fine and that birds can have bad bacteria that is passing through, however, that does not mean they should be given antibiotics!

It's not normal to need to give a bird antibiotics every few months!! ... when they are perfectly healthy. Over use of antibiotics can cause a whole myriad of problems.

Antibitioics causes massive destruction to the gut bacteria (bad and GOOD bacteria!). If anything, probiotics should be given not antibiotics!

Brandon2k14, it's a looong story. I posted thread about it last year. Thankfully he made a full recovery :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts