Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today my tiels invaded the kitchen. I have a shelf full of big glass jars full of various grains, and I noticed that the tiels were tapping on them as if they were trying to get to them and eat them.

I usually cook the grains for them and for me, then dehydrate theirs. Sometimes I give them the cooked wet ones.

But today it made me think: can I actually give them the grains dry and raw, just out of the jar? They are quinoa, wheat, barley, brown rice, plus various cracked grains like bulghour, semolina and couscous. I am also waiting for some amaranth, whole oat and millet to be delivered.

Will it be safe? Is there someone here who mixes any of these dry grains to their daily seeds?

·
Registered
301 Posts
I don't know about the others but the quinoa has to be rinsed. That bitter taste you get from cooking unrinsed quinoa can be toxic for birds (I was warned about letting 28gram parrotlets having it)

It's some sort of natural insecticide the plant makes to keep the bugs away

·
Registered
301 Posts
From the Whole foods web site

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/blog/whole-story/be-keen-quinoa

Make sure to remember that rinsing quinoa is an important step. The seeds are coated with saponins, naturally-occurring plant chemicals that can cause a bit of a bitter taste. Their purpose is to keep insects from eating the plant! While most quinoa is rinsed prior to packaging, it's best to be safe and rinse it again.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was reading the composition of Passwell Crumbles, and it contains ground grains including wheat, barley, maize and oats.

So, if such a good foodstuff like Passwell Crumbles contains raw grains (not quinoa, though, that one we have established that needs a different treatment), why grains have to be cooked, Lisaowens?

I am confused, just trying to understand why raw is good in the crumbles but it's not good if I make it myself.

·
Registered
10,912 Posts
Raw grains are fine as long as your birds have the beak strength to crack them open. My birds aren't that tough so I give them lightly sprouted grains.

Raw dry beans are a different matter. They contain natural toxins, and in most cases cooking is required to neutralize the toxin. There are a small number of beans that are OK if they are not cooked but are sprouted until the tail is 1/2" long.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts