Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My chronic plucker, Odette, is going to the vet tomorrow to get treatment for a feather cyst that's roughly the size of a pea. I'm not sure whether it will involve anesthesia and true surgery or just lancing with a needle, but I'm hoping it will be the latter.

This whole thing is complicated by the fact that next weekend my birds are leaving to spend December/January with my parents while I do a lot of traveling for work. My parents are great bird people and I'm lucky that they're able to do this for me, but they're two states away, so it's going to be tough with the tiels gone. :(

For those who don't know Odette's history, I adopted her as a traumatized baby who was going to be euthanized by the rescue because she would thrash around and hurt herself if anyone so much as looked at her. She's settled down a lot and is very affectionate now, but we think her plucking is the result of her trauma history. Please send her some good thoughts for tomorrow/the following few days if you have any to spare. :)

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Sending lots of love and good thoughts to Odette... She is a fighter and will win this fight too.
:love:

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Sending good thoughts and hugs your way for you and Odette.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Best Wishes to everybirdy!!!!

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all! Everything went well and she didn't require sedation, which is always good news. The vet showed me how to lance cysts myself, which I may do in the future. It's basically the same way you'd remove a splinter from your hand with a needle. Of course, I wouldn't recommend that anyone try it without being advised by a vet first!

Odette is acting really sleepy/stressed right now, but I'm sure she'll appreciate having the cysts gone once she gets over the indignity of being toweled.

·
Registered
786 Posts
That is great that everything is well...healing thoughts to Odette <3

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
She has some pretty nasty looking swelling/bruising in the area of the cysts today, but I imagine that's to be expected. Hopefully it looks worse than it feels. She isn't acting like it bothers her, but obviously it's not like I can ask.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I think it is normal, yes. Needles can cause bruises and swelling. I almost always get a bruise when I go for a blood test for example... If she is acting normally she is most probably OK too and feeling better. Because she is a plucker just watch out that she doesn't touch that area.
Sending more good thoughts and love to Odette... :love:

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't really think there's anything that she can mess with there, and fortunately she's a plucker but not a mutilator. I am keeping an eye on her though. :)

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Yaaaay that everything went okay :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts