Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rose is a fussy little girl, when I first bought her she was very quiet and aggressive but has flourished into a wonderful bird... But there's a problem. At the moment she's on an all-seed diet which I know isn't good. I put veggies in there, I put cockatiel friendly healthy treats but she ignores them and eats the last of the seeds. I've even tried tempting her by putting some seeds directly next to her veggies but she still refuses to eat them. I'm not hugely worried. I just want her to be healthy and happy. Any tips on getting her to eat them? Also, any recommendation for what she should eat? I've researched many times but I would like to hear other Cockatiel owners food routines from breakfast to supper.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Try Harrison's pellets and buy super fine or the mash and give it with just a tee spoon of seeds in there, slowly convert her. Sometimes it helps to make a chop with vegies, use the food processor and put some millet on top. Nutri berries are lked by most too.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
There are many different ways people feed their tiels on this forum.

You could also try Paswells Crumble and / or Vetafarm nutriblend mixed in her seed.

There are some great veggie recipes on the recipe stickies. Try mixing wild rice with corn, capiscum, quinoa, lentils, split peas and even chillis.

Skiddles gets her wet mix in the morning, and a teaspoon of seed, crumble and pellets in the morning as well (obviously the wet and dry mixes are in seperate bowls).

In the evening she may get a couple of pumpkin seeds or other treat like a couple of tiny pieces of water cracker (and I mean tiny). Or they get what I am having...usually they help themselves to my plate. LOL! If its food they can have of course.

Skiddles seed limit is due to her medical condition - so others will give you a better indication of the amount of seed Rose should be getting.

Try sprinkling millet on her wet mix. Maybe even try taking out her seeds in the morning so she only has the wet mix for an hour or two - then put seeds back in.

Hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
612 Posts
Maybe you can take a leaf of kale or collard greens, cut it into thin long strips, and hang it from the top of her cage, in a way that she can bite it from inside. The strips make them very curious. Have you tried broccoli? They seem to like the little buds. My Cookie likes veggies that are visually interesting, like very curly kale. It makes her want to go check it out. Maybe you can take a piece of kale, fold it in a way that enhances the curls, and stick it between the bars on the side of her cage. She might like that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts