Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new baby died last night...
.....I'm so sad today...after feeding and bonding with my new baby bird, Fletcher, who had been thriving until last Thursday when he seemed listless, not eating much, and sick, I took him to the vet...he was given beytril and nystatin, and his poop was sent to the lab. The Dr. noticed his very low weight, 60 grams, and suspected crop infection. I gave him several doses of medicine, and tried offering applesauce, tho she did take tiny amounts of formula, but yesterday she went downhill quickly, and I prepared myself for the worse. He would walk and fall over, on his back, would sit sleeping anywhere, and stopped even taking water. I took him to another vet, and was told he would need to stay in the hospital at least overnight. They were going to take tiny x-rays, and do antibiotics, but they were not able to say what was wrong. When I got home the Dr. called to say she had passed, so today I'm going back to bring her home for a proper buriel. I am heartbroken, but wonder if it was my fault, and is my other bird going to get sick too? Does anyone have any experience with any of these issues? I'd appreciate hearing from you...thank you...love your babies while you can...
Edit/Delete Message

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sorry to hear you lost. I wish Fletcher RIP.
I though, you took in a 6 weeks old baby, it should be very easy to feeds. The only thing can screw everything is temperature. For baby bird even with full further, it may still have difficult time to keep warm enough if room temperature is too cold. If baby bird did not keep warm enough, he or she will have digestion problem due to low body temperature. From there, lots of thing can go wrong. Such as sour crop, lot body weight and more, if you can't correct situation quick enough, I mean within a day or two, the baby bird may be very difficult to save.

Actually, if you have a few same age babies, it is easy to feed, since usually babies will stay together, and keep them warm enough. That is why once all babies are hatches, parent don't sit on them, but if only one or two hatched, the parent bird will sit on them all time. So, in your case, you had to have a brood to keep your baby warm enough preferable around middle 80sF. And You should have a scale to weigh him or her at least once time a day. I usual weight parent feed babies once a day to keep track growth of my baby birds. If you don't have such preparation, failure could happens....

Anyhow, I am not big fan of hand feeding. I let my breeding pair feeding their babied until 12 weeks old. I usual started to handling them once they open eyes. I got very healthy and heavy baby bird. The most recent clutch of babies all weight more than 100 grams, boys about 105 g, girls about 115 gram. And Babies are people friend too.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I'm very sorry about your loss of little Fletcher. I don't have any experience with raising baby tiels, but I do know how heartbreaking it is to lose one of these family members :(

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am so sorry to hear about Fletcher. I had the same thing happen to us with our sweet Dacey. She was right in the middle of feeding 4 of her new hatched babies when she became ill very suddenly. We almost lost her before we could even get her to the vet! He put her in some sort of air chamber where she could breath better and he kept her over night. Like you, we got the dreaded call the next morning saying she had passed. The vet told us that she may very well have tried a little too hard taking care of the babies and some of the food (from her crop) may have aspirated and went into her lungs! We miss her every day but two of her babies (now grown) still live with us. One male and one female that looks JUST like Dacey!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts