Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! So Coco and Zuki have been very friendly with each other. Which is great and what I wanted since this way they can be out of their cages at the same time. But Coco doesn't seem interested in me what so ever. Coco will ask Zuki for scratches but never me... I'll try to get him to step up and put him on my shoulder but he just flies off all the time. Even when I take the millet out. He seems to like my husband a bit better than me which is fine with me since it's the first pet that likes my husband more than me. I'd just like for him to still bond with me as well, if it even possible?.

Is there anything I can do to help him bond with me? It seems like lately it's been going backwards. At the beginning he'd chill out on my shoulder and hang on the table while I was on the computer but he doesn't even do that anymore. He's basically out of his cage all day, hanging on Zuki's cage or on top of his. Oh and this might be worth mentioning, he's been WAY better about his cage, before he would hate going to it, not even for eating or drinking. The minute that you would put him away he'd go nuts. Now he's fine, he'll play in it and hang out in there no problem.

Is this all normal? Can I do anything to help him bond more with me? I know they're like people and either like you or not but can they change their minds?

Sorry for the double post (I posted by accident in cockatiel videos) but I couldn't figure out how to move the thread.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
He's bonding with the other bird which makes it harder for him to bond with you. Not impossible to bond with you but definitely a lot harder. Food bribery is your best bet, not trying to scritch him, which he doesn't seem comfortable with you doing right now. Offer him treats when he is out with you and it may help if you spend some time with him alone without the other bird around.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Chances are your birdie manner's are lacking... remember to ask yourself "does the bird actually want this right now? or is this just my desire?" if the latter... well thats why he's distancing from you

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks for the advice guys. :) I guess I could see that I've really wanted him to like me and maybe it was too much for him. So I'll back off for a bit and see how he responds.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Treats, treats, and more treats. That's the way to a bird's heart.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts