Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the differences in personality between boy and girl cockatiels. I've been trying to research this and can't find very much info. So what has everyone learned while owning them or do you know some good web sites Where I can read on the differences. Thanks for the help:)

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
I don't know of any sites that discuss specifics-this one is good though. ;) You'll get real answers from real people.
I have had a girl for 3 1/5 years and a boy for 2 months. Now, keep in mind, all tiels are different, just like people and there are exceptions to every rule but...
I found my girl to be sweet and cuddly, hisses more but never bites-loves attention and overall quiet with the exception of times where she makes these long tweeps,ussually for attention.
I found my boy to be very sweet and very cuddly, acts very proud of himself, he does like hugs alot more then my girl does but can have mood swings at times. He often sings, chatters and mimicks but is not loud volume wise.

EDIT: My preference..males-they are really funny to watch and listen to. I still wouldn't trade Baby in for the world though.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
There's a thread quite this here:
http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php/which-would-you-chose-male-361.html

It was bugging me for ages, thinking "I'm sure there's a thread like this". So much so that I spent about 15 minutes looking for it LOL!! :p

I've only got one - a female. She is extremely cuddly, and reasonably quiet. Sorry, I only have one so I can't compare, but if you read the thread then lots of people on here have different sexes of tiel to compare too. :)

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
They say females are the cuddlier of the two but I have the opposite going on here Georgie is not cuddly at all she likes to be left alone to do her own thing, where as Ollie my male has to be with us ALL the time...hehe He is a big momma's boy and loves to run up my chest and give me kisses.
Georgie hisses at everything that comes to close to her and Ollie has his random little tantrums where he acts all crazy..lol he doesn't bite but he just looks really silly flapping around.
Georgie is quiet usually not a peep out of her and Ollie never shuts up, he is LOUD and bangs his beak on everything :p
Minnie is a whole different story she acts like both male and female...lol even though she is dna'd female she wolf whistles and chatters like a male but she is also the biggest cuddle bug out of the three.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for getting back to me! Rosie thanks for spending so much time looking for the thread. I read it and really enjoyed it. I have a choice between two babies and they are both 5 weeks old. One is male and one female. Both great personalities for weeks. Its so hard to choose one. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
Spike my Cockatiel is male and he has lots of tantrums sometimes. He talks a ton and is sometimes loud. He beak bangs and does his heart wings. He sometimes bites like a little machine gun but has never drawn blood. He gives me kisses too. I think he is just great :D Good luck with your decision :)

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I prefer males. They're chatty, goofy, complete idiots and if you get a hand reared one and spend time with it chances are it will be a total snuggle bug too. :p I just love the noise they make, Bailee provides us with hours of entertainment.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I only have one male, he is cuddly, very talkative, scatty, bitey, quiet, moody, nice, horrible but most of all, he is a little darling and I wouldn't change a single feather on his body. He's just going through a terrible stage, moulting loads and is very, very moody, snuggly one minute and tearing the skin off me the next, but he always ends his biting and being horrible session with "*blows a kiss* I love you!", so how can I NOT love him. lol.

How can you tell for sure that one is a boy and one is a girl at 5 weeks old, have then been DNA tested?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
She is doing DNA tests this week. This breeder tests all her babies before she puts them up for adoption. So by Friday I'll know. For me personality is very inportant. I know each one is different and it depends on the bird not necessarily wether it is male or female but I was just curious what everyone has found. thank you everyone for your input.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts