Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to teach Bennie to "gimme four" but not sure how to go about it. I think I could give him the command and hold my finger out. Then if he starts to step up, pull my finger away as soon as he touches it. But I feel that would be like teasing him. I don't want him to think I'll pull away when he wants to step up. Is there a way to teach that trick without stressing him? No trick is worth that.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Use a clicker, charge the clicker by clicking it and then giving him a treat of his most favorite thing. Then he knows when he hears the click he gets a fgreat, then get him to target, (touch a chopstick or skewer, click and treat) sometimes to start you have to actually touch him with it then click and treat until the light goes on that he is supposed to touch it to get the treat. Once he understands that is he does a certain action he gets the treat it is just a matter of letting him know what than action is. Get him to step up, click treat, then ask him so high 4 or give 4 whatever words you chose, then as soon as one foot comes up, click, remove finger and treat.. Go slow and let him learn each step before moving on... Good luck.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gimme four

OK thank you. I have thought of getting a clicker; next time I'm in the pet store I'll get one. I've seen videos of target training, but I've never used one. I'd like to try, though. I enjoy working with him, other than just holding him. And, yes, I know I have to take it slow. I am a very patient person :).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts