Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was home at lunch today and as usual, Bennie was out while I was home. I was about to put him back in his cage when he stood straight up, crest raised and stared out the window. I looked and there were two wild turkeys strutting by the window! I am surprised he didn't fly off! I told him, "Wow, those are big birdies, aren't they?" Turkeys are common in the woods here, but I don't usually see them in the middle of the day.

·
Registered
246 Posts
We have doves and wild ducks wandering round the aviary as well as cats. The finches are not bothered by them but when a sparrowhawk landed recently, they were in a panic. How do they know?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
giant birds

I guess they have an instinctive knowledge of what shapes are dangerous. I think it's amazing, though. Where I work I have a red-tailed hawk I use for educational programs. If I have her out and a turkey vulture flies overhead, she'll barely glance at it. But if an eagle (about the same size and similar silhouette )flies over, she will watch it until it is out of sight. I've often seen eagles I never would have seen if she hadn't "shown" them to me.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Sometimes, I take Kirby with me to work. He was sitting on my shoulder while we were walking the few feet from my car to the door and suddenly huddled up against my neck underneath my hair. I looked up and saw a hawk circling overhead! Now I'm much more observant even when talking short trips outside!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts