Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Meta's new cage is arriving next week, and a new problem has arisen: how to actually get him into it. Knowing him, he won't go in voluntarily. Problem is, he doesn't let me to touch him, so simply putting him into the new one would involve a lot of stress from all parties included. I've been thinking about putting his food bowl into the door of the new cage (from the inside), and hoping that his stomach will pull rank over his fear, but past experiences tell me he's just going to get angrier and angrier while pacing up and down his old cage.

Is there a gentle way to move him?

·
Registered
28 Posts
If one of the cages isn't too big you can put them door-to-door and tap the side of the cage facing the door to scare him into going into the other one, I know it feels kind of bad but it's better than trying to catch him with your hand. Also some tiels get attached to the perch so if you move it to the other cage he might go in willingly. If none of these work, catching him with your hand isn't that bad, I had to move one tiel that way because the cages were too big to simply be put against one another, I didn't lose any progress with him he still ate from my hand afterwards.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Problem is, the cage's door is on hinges and doesn't go all the way up, so there'd be a gap, and I'm afraid he'd hurt himself. I'll see if it can't be taken down, though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts