Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so happy, have had Sarvie for 7 days now and he will happily get on my hand and uses me as an elevator to get around his cage! Is not afraid of me at all. Am very happy as some people kept telling because he is an Avery bird he won't adjust to me, they have to be hand reared. My last budgie was out of an Avery and he was awesome. You have to be patient but I think its just as do-able. Is it normal for baby cockatiel's to find it difficult to get around a cage? He can fly up or down, but only does it sometimes. And he tries to climb the cage, but doesn't seem to have the co-ordination. He's 11 weeks old, so I am hoping this is just a baby thing and he'll learn to as he gets older. I can't remember what my budgie was like as a baby.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Thats great to hear he is bonding with you :D

As for being clutzy, most baby birds are like this, similar to baby humans who dont have the co-ordination to run a full marathon with hurdels put in the way, neither can teils get around like their older counterparts. They just have to find their feet.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
yes all baby birds are like that so far with all my chicks i have not had one that was clumsy but there sure get over it and then they just want to fly around and explore

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great thanks, 2 days have passed and he is now practicing flying round the cage regulary and doing quite well. He calls out to my husband when he leaves the room. Hubby will whistle back to him from around the house and they have quite a good conversation. Pity I can't whistle! Does anybody find their birds attaches themselves to someone else?

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Its ok to be jealous, I get like that sometimes when my hubby gets a chance to spend more time with ours than me and then they want to sit on him. And he can teach them whistles and I can't because I can't whistle very well. It's perfectly normal, but one of the boys he bought will sit with me more because I worked with him to bring him out of his shell when the hubby almost gave up on him. But I wouldn't, Snowball just needed a little extra attention.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh thankyou! Wow, you don't know how much that means to me! I don't mind if he does spend time with my hubby, I just want to be a part of it all too. (He is my jolly bird after all). I'm the one that feeds him and am training him, so there will be a big bond there anyway. Hubby and I each have something to offer Sarvey so he gets different things from each of us. Perfect team really. I think I am just being impatient for Sarvey to get to where my last budgie was. I've forgotten all this beginning stuff. Good news is, he is looking like he is going to be a very fun birdie...

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
well i no when i have company over stretch tends to go and cuddle with the ladies he is such a suck when the ladies are around

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, update. I, of course, love my birdie to pieces. Sarvey has trained up nicely. It took him about 5 minutes to learn to dog whistle the other night, and will happily show that off for us. And today we mastered the "Come" trick. So I'm pretty stoaked with him. I also feel its nice that he comes out, plays with me, relaxes with me, calls to me, is beginning to get used to the bathroom and hopefully soon the shower, but also puts himself away in the cage when he's had enough.
This week I changed his diet. Every 5 days or so I now make up a layered salad for him, thanks to another website with a great recipe. On the day I add a walnut, sprouted seeds, a sprinkling of seed and some pellets. He also has pellets in the cage all the time. At night, when I am having dinner he has a rice/cous cous/lentil/frozen vege mix with a little warm water, and pellets. And he gobbles that down, and his beak with look all cancerous until he cleans it off. I am so grateful for this site, its really helped me learn how to be a better parent to my lovely fid. Keep it up people. x

1 - 12 of 12 Posts