Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I’m looking for any tips for a new cockatiel I’m getting next week from a breeder near me. I have owned parrots before but never a cockatiel. Breeder suggested limiting interaction with new baby to 2 10 minute sessions daily for the first 3 weeks baby is home. Is this recommended?

diet currently will consist of pellets, seed mix recommended by breeder, and frozen/thawed veggies. Breeder also supplied grit but said this was optional

thank you!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hello! I’m looking for any tips for a new cockatiel I’m getting next week from a breeder near me. I have owned parrots before but never a cockatiel. Breeder suggested limiting interaction with new baby to 2 10 minute sessions daily for the first 3 weeks baby is home. Is this recommended?

diet currently will consist of pellets, seed mix recommended by breeder, and frozen/thawed veggies. Breeder also supplied grit but said this was optional

thank you!
I have never limited interactions with my tiels. The one we just bought was so friendly he immediately wanted to snuggle and be loved. We taught him to step up a day and a half after we purchased him and now we are into further training. As long as you are clean (wash hands and hand sanitizer) and he/she is comfortable, interact away. Our other tiels took a bit more time but after a couple of weeks of attention they were ready to go and be trained. I do not believe in grit, as we use cuttlebones and mineral block. Our Avian vet confirmed their health so I believe we are doing ok. Glad your tiel is on pellets, as it sometimes can be difficult. Look up some chop recipes; all our our parrots (cockatiels and ringnecks) quickly fell in love with at least the veggies and whole wheat pasta.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.