Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

Getting a second Tiel good idea? need expertise

786 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  tunabread 
I'm no professional and I'm only speaking from my own experience with my own female tiels.
Last year I got another female tiel for Paprika thinking that she would be happier with another birdie buddy. Of course I gave her lots of love an attention but I was just worried she'd be lonely when I get a full time job. Papri was almost 5 then and the new one (Chicory) was about 2 months old. I introduced them to each other after the new one's quarantine period, she seemed to be okay with Paprika but.. Paprika did not like her! She tolerates Chicory now but Papri still does get a little territorial if Chicory comes too close and she'll hiss and nip at her.

Apparently females may fight with each other so I would be worried about that :( and it would depend on your tiel if she wants to welcome a new bird in her life. Basically if you want a second bird, it's best that you get it because YOU want a second bird - not for your current one. I think it's easier for younger tiels to befriend a second tiel rather than older ones.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.