Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I obtained a breeding pair. Visually the hen is grey and the cock is a whiteface cinnamon. One of the chicks from their last clutch was pure white (I saw it myself) and the breeder said it was silver but I'm struggling to see how this is possible. I didn't see if the eyes were reddish. I'm thinking it couldn't have been WF Lutino as then it would also have had to have been Cinnamon. The only possibility I can think of is that both parents are split to pied and the baby was WF clear pied but this seems unlikely. And yeh I don't see how the baby could have been silver. If it was recessive silver it wouldn't have looked pure white. Am I missing anything?

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Silver's aren't pure white, they are actually very similar to normal grey with a few distinct differences. The baby was most likely a wf lutino or wf cinnamon lutino. You can't always see the cinnamon coloring on a lutino bird, it's not as obvious. The baby would also be female.

·
Registered
10,894 Posts
If mom is split WF and dad is split lutino you can get whiteface lutino girls out of this pair. They would be cinnamon too of course, but lutino messes up the melanin (gray pigment) to the point that it's basically invisible. Cinnamon lutino birds often have a brownish wash on the wing and tail feathers, but this is a lot more noticeable in adult birds than it is in babies because the color gets more intense at the first molt.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cinnamon lutino birds often have a brownish wash on the wing and tail feathers, but this is a lot more noticeable in adult birds than it is in babies because the color gets more intense at the first molt.
Thanks this would explain it. Also, thanks for those articles on allelic mutations and crossovers they were really helpful :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts