Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So sex linked genetics are getting me abit confused lol
So if a grey male and a pearl hen have babies, the pearl babies will be male and the greys will be hens? Am I right?
So if you have a grey male split to pearl bred with a pearl hen then what??? Are the pearl babies both sexes? What are the greys? And what if you get some random white faced or lutino chick? Just to really mix it up abit?? lol I only seem to understand the basic one then it all jumbled up and I lose my mind!

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
So if a grey male and a pearl hen have babies, the pearl babies will be male and the greys will be hens? Am I right?
Not right! :) If a grey male and a pearl hen have babies, the pearl babies can be either male or female. Ditto for the grey babies, they can be either male or female. If mom is pearl and there are both pearl babies and grey babies in the nest it's proof that the male is split to pearl. If the pair has a lot of babies and all of them are pearl, it's an indicator that the male is actually pearl not grey.

If you get pearl babies and the mother is NOT pearl, then all the pearl chicks have to be girls.

what if you get some random white faced or lutino chick?
If you get a lutino chick and the mom is NOT lutino, the chick is a girl. That's the sex-linked inheritance rules at work.

Whiteface is not sex-linked so it can never tell you what sex a bird is. The inheritance rules are the same for boys and girls - they have to get the gene from both parents to be visual.

With sex-linked, the rules are different for boys and girls. Girls can only get the gene from dad, and they will be visual if they get the gene from him. There are no sex-linked splits in girls. If they have the gene you will see it, and if you don't see it then it means that they don't have the gene.

Boys have to get the gene from both parents to be visual, and they will be split if they get it from just one parent. You can tell whether mom has the gene or not just by looking at her, and if she isn't visual for a sex-linked mutation then it's not possible for her to have sons who are visual for that mutation. She can have daughters who are visual for that mutation, but the girls have to get the gene from dad.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
God it's so confusing! Lol but you have helped me understand it all abit more! Thank you lol

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
When I first started learning about sex-linked inheritance it took me two days just to wrap my head around the idea that males were XX and females were XY. Once I got past that point it was fairly straightforward for me, but not everybody learns things the same way so other parts might be harder for some people.

Have you seen the sticky thread at http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=26845 ? It has diagrams that help illustrate the way the genes are transmitted from the parents to the babies. This might be helpful for people who are visual learners.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did a little bit of genetics at college but that was 8 years ago! lol I probably should have paid more attention!

·
Registered
47 Posts
It's helpful to me to draw out the Punnet squares and look at them, even though I know that when you get into multiple genes it's more complicated than that. Still, it really helped me wrap my head around the sex-linked thing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts