Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm not very experienced with gendering cockatiels so any help would be greatly appreciated :)

I am considering purchasing this beauty from my breeder (already got 2 quality hand raised birds from them) however I'm hoping it is a male as I want at least one that'll be able to whistle along with me. The breeders however, do not like to speculate (I've tried with the previous 2) as they might be wrong because it is still a baby.

Honestly, wouldn't mind even if its a female, but I would just like to have a faint idea so I know what to expect, would anyone be able to lend me a hand?

Thank you kindly!

Here are the pictures
http://imgur.com/a/zLcXZ

·
Registered
103 Posts
What a cute baby! Unfortunately you can't sex babies unless the parents carry specific sex-linked mutations such as dad being a cinnamon, pearl or lutino and the mother isn't.
With your little one since it's also a pied it's impossible to visually sex as it matures like you would a non pied bird.
In your case you will need to either have a DNA test done or wait and see if it displays any behavior that will point to one gender or the other

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
You could always do a DNA test to determine the gender if it's really that important to you. Pied is one of the mutations that can't be sexed visually, so you'd have to wait for the baby to grow up to figure it out. What were the parents mutations?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts